What would you do??

dhickey

Man that's a tough one..I would hate to blow a friendship over 180 bucks..What if its just an innocent mistake? Maybe once he picked it up by mistake and not being an avid fisherman just doesn't realize its yours..Was there a combo left at your place recently that's not yours?

One thing I have noticed as getting older is I'm not afraid to ask a question.If he is a great friend?,ask or tell him what you think happened. I would in a second.If he gets bent out of shape,you know he may be guilty.I just can't wonder about this kind of thing.If he admits to taking it,It's all over as far as I'm concerned .Personally,no time for that behavior ,again if guilty.What may be next?????????Good luck Don,in whatever route you choose.

Dave.

I think it should be clarified that the sketchy dude was the husband of the long time friend. So is it worth mentioning to your friend that her husband has what appears to be your rod set up ?

I'd let it go and never deal with him again and just stick to her friendship and hopefully she'll understand why you don't want to see her husband. ever.

I'd say that makes a difference, for sure. Doesn't matter as much since you don't know the guy, and you're just doing him a favour taking him and his kid out in the boat - to possibly be stolen from? That's pretty bold, too, to bring it along with him.

There's a saying that if a friend borrows $50 from you, and you never see him again then it was probably worth it.

I'd say that makes a difference, for sure. Doesn't matter as much since you don't know the guy, and you're just doing him a favour taking him and his kid out in the boat - to possibly be stolen from? That's pretty bold, too, to bring it along with him.

There's a saying that if a friend borrows $50 from you, and you never see him again then it was probably worth it.

I like that ,never heard that one lol.

sometimes, we confuse acquaintances with friends. Sometimes we make assumptions without enough information.

You need to find out if that was your rod (question for you - did you notice it was missing before you saw it in this guys hands?)

If it was your rod, then he wasn't your friend.

If it wasn't your rod, then depending on how you discovered that, he will either be a better bud than before, or a friend no more.

If the guy doesn't fish he wouldn't know the difference between a $500.00 saltwater Penn and a 20 buck Zebco. If he does and he stole it he has to be the worst thief around. They steal stuff to sell not to take back and show the guy who he stole it from, think about it. I don't get the my daughter bought it part.

He may be stupid too and forgot he stole it from you.

I personally would tell him it looks just like the one you misplaced, not was stolen, years ago. Take it, turn the reel over look at it like you are looking for something and say "yep just like mine, you wouldn't have mixed this up the last time I was with you or one of the kids maybe". Watch carefully at his reaction.

I was golfing with a lifelong old friend for the first time in years, I saw in his son's bag an old Taylor Made Burner Bubble I paid big for identical to the one I lost. I said where did you get that club Mark? Dad bought it for me Johnny. I was ready to kill someone. For the next 18 holes that's all I did was think of how I was going to beat this guy senseless but not in front of his 14 year old. After golf he said "I know why your pissed. I told the kid I bought it for him and you know I didn't. Yea because you put the gleep on it. He replied are you smoking stupid stick? You gave it too me the last time I was at your cottage". Then I remembered I did just that. What if I accused him of stealing it in front of the kid and made a scene. It was bad enough accusing him of stealing my club. a 50 year friendship was never the same afterwards. I'm a jackass. Could it be something similar, tread lightly or just let it go.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

Don, having known you for years I know this burns your backside... That said growing up my mother always said this to me,

Two wrongs never make a right.

Be the bigger man, don't make a scene and never trust this person again.

Somethings are just not worth it, especially when I know hot under the collar you can get.

G

Thank you all for all your insights and advice..

I am going to let this go.

My Mother always told me that

revenge is best served cold and alone .

Compassion is hard earned .

Anger and revenge is wasted energy.

On the bright side I have recently stopped smoking so I have my sights set on something better. :good:

Thank you all.

Don.

Mike I cant blame a child...

Parents I will blame....

Mike you may be very well right?

but who are we to judge an 7 year old boy?

His father told me flat out that the rod and reel was bought for their daughter???

Don.

Mike I cant blame a child...

Parents I will blame....

Mike you may be very well right?

but who are we to judge an 7 year old boy?

His father told me flat out that the rod and reel was bought for their daughter???

Don.

Didn't realize he was 7, I was picturing a teenager.

It is interesting to see how the perspective changes when you have all the facts and how so many of us were willing to offer advice on a situation before we were sure we were fully aware of those facts. I hope you find peace with your decision.

Oh, and congrats on quiting smoking and good luck with it!