FISH-A-THON FOR A CURE 2014

Hey Gang!

First off, it seems as my kids get older and things get busier & more complicated around here I'm not able to get on OFC as much as I'd like!

That said, since day one our Fish-a-Thon for a Cure couldn't happen without the amazing support from everyone on this great forum! I have to thank everyone from the bottom of my heart for the ongoing support, from our volunteers, to our sponsors and everyone else involved in the event.

This year's event is ONLY A WEEK AND A HALF AWAY!!!! Boy did that ever creep up fast on me! LOL We have nearly 100 people singed up so far and are receiving prizes from all of our sponsors daily! I have to send a huge shout out to Laurie from Dixie Dairy Bar and Tackle in St. Thomas who has once again gone way over and above with prize donations! She's also offered to pledge anyone who walks into the shop looking for one, so make sure to pop in and see her. We also have a bunch of other stuff rolling in from various companies and members of OFC who have offered to help out with our cause. We'll be posting prizes and other information over the next week and a half!

Please, if you're interested in the event pop over to www.fish-a-thon.com to register. If by chance you're able to offer anything for the prize table that'd be awesome as well. We have one little boy that I know of who has already raised over $1200.00 all by himself, and many, many more people who are working hard to gain pledges for the cause and we always try to make sure that everyone goes home with a prize and a full belly!

To date we've raised nearly $50,000 and are hoping to crack $60,000 this year - with your support I'm sure we can meet our goal. Far to many people suffer from this terrible disease, and I can't think of a better way to help fight Cancer and support our family and friends who need it by spending a day on the water!

Here's a few pics that Juli took last year!

IMG_6055_zps52646234.jpg

IMG_6325_zps8309df64.jpg

IMG_6126_zpsd787b60b.jpg

IMG_6157_zpsaae1e002.jpg

IMG_6195_zps1315f7fe.jpg

IMG_6215_zpsfdd2c419.jpg

IMG_6233_zpsbee6d446.jpg

IMG_6301_zpsec9d44ef.jpg

IMG_6313_zpsaee2a466.jpg

IMG_6335_zps3b49d00c.jpg

IMG_6373_zps72a2d3ed.jpg

IMG_6391_zps8d213339.jpg

IMG_6402_zpsbea797ba.jpg

IMG_6406_zps93540316.jpg

IMG_6428_zpsefe9a671.jpg

IMG_6452_zps6a4ef4fd.jpg

IMG_6459_zpsa83eaa29.jpg

IMG_6514_zpsf93ee612.jpg

IMG_6535_zpse7fd2e08.jpg

DSCN1128_zpsa9e1e686.jpg

IMG_6563_zps02c31b5e.jpg

IMG_6580_zpsbd1e20dc.jpg

IMG_6592_zpsb998ecf4.jpg

IMG_6660_zps38d43a91.jpg

IMG_6667_zps130f3fd9.jpg

IMG_6686_zps8eb0f5dc.jpg

IMG_6699_zps32f1a68d.jpg

IMG_6551_zps18f39c2e.jpg

More to come very soon - THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Edited by The Urban Fisherman

Totally stoked for this great event this year will be a blast if you have not been out for this event please come out great times are always had

Thanks Mike for the post - AND THANK YOU for the awesome prize donations!!! Mike and Danna always go way over and above to support our event - Can't wait to hang out with you guys this year!

Ryan we are very excited to have the whole weekend to relax at times and also but our butts helping out. Usually we only have the one day. Chris I hope you can make it sorry you were sick and it was the end of the day at the fishing show so we did not have much time to chat.

Edited by Mike P.

I hope to be there but may not be able to make it. Regardless some prizes are coming your way again Ryan!

Hey Chris! I hope you can make it - let me know if it's an issue with getting a ride out or something and I'll make sure we find a way to get you out for the day! Thanks so much for the support buddy!

Ryan we are very excited to have the whole weekend to relax at times and also but our butts helping out. Usually we only have the one day. Chris I hope you can make it sorry you were sick and it was the end of the day at the fishing show so we did not have much time to chat.

Can't wait to spend the weekend with you guys Mike!!! Been looking forward to it for months! haha

I hope to be flipping burgers, rolling hot dogs and telling bad jokes again this year.

We're working on a giant BBQ for you this year Hometown!!! I can't make any promises but I'll keep you posted! h

Rachel and I will be there, probably not partying the night before though. That was a rough morning of fishing lol

Always my favourite fishing event of the year

lol I'm also going to go a little easy the night before

Year after year one of the most coveted prizes at our Fish-a-Thon is the Spiel Custom rod. Every year our own Spiel from the board here donates one of his beautiful handcrafted rods that he makes especially for our event and we can't thank him enough! Check this bad boy out!

More info and prizes coming today!

fMDdtBo.jpg

DcwdH5u.jpg

AAhk4Zr.jpg

FlyISaK.jpg

All of these prizes happened thanks to Laurie @ Dixie Dairy Bar & Tackle Shop in St. Thomas, ON. These amazing donations are thanks to her hard work and the great companies she works with! She also has a ton more that she hasn't told me about yet! lol

Huge Prize, $500 Towards a set of four Toyo Tires INSTALLED!

D082C355-7738-4094-B8A8-95C8B5BEC836.jpg

TWO iPod Nanos courtesy of Microcad London!

photo13.jpg

Mentos USB Sticks!

photo10.jpg

A bunch of great stuff from Monster Energy!

photo5.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo17.jpg

photo6.jpg

photo7.jpg

photo11.jpg

Thanks to Lucky Bug Lures for Lure Pack!

photo3.jpg

Thanks to KTL for these Tackle boxes and 4 Okuma Combos!

photo2.jpg

photo-7.jpg

Wheel of Fortune Lotto for these texting Gloves!

photo8.jpg

A Mars Bars Cooler!

photo9.jpg

Breyers T-Shirts!

photo12.jpg

WORX Energy Shirt!

photo14.jpg

A wicked General Tires Gardening set!

photo18.jpg

A Toyo Tires Windbreaker!

photo20.jpg

Coke Supplied shirts AND Pop for all of our participants!

photo19.jpg

A Gift Certificate from The Wharf Restaurant!

photo15.jpg

There's no need to explain on this forum who Mike and Danna are from HANDLEBARZ MUSKY LURES! Mike makes amazing handmade musky lures and they have been huge supporters of the Fish-A-Thon since day 1!!!! It's always good to have companies involved in our event who are making a great name for themselves in the industry! THANK SO MUCH GUYS!

This year they're bringing us T-Shirts, Baits, Stickers, and TWO HUNDRED custom made Fish-A-Thon cosies!

E53E3CC2-BE86-4530-BE14-C24103F1FE6D.jpg

More Prizes!!!

Huge Shout out to Fishing 101 For Women!! Yvonne reached out to US and was very excited to support our event. We can't thank her enough for the amazing prizes she shipped us!

10489647_723670871008756_337883196819846

10487351_725259020849941_481568393972675

Here's an awesome Frogg Toggs Youth Fishing vest from LONGTIME supporter Lambeth Bait & Tackle!

10556439_725700390805804_189188830946595

10378207_725700407472469_189236672426599

A couple of Rod Combo / Tackle Packs from Angling Sports in London, ON!

10494871_725699960805847_720364069939969

Gift Certificate from Godfathers Pizza in Port Rowan - They're also hand delivering us 25 Pizza's for lunch!

10527745_725260880849755_220453977666879

AT THE BRIDGE on Longpoint, ON offered an amazing prize of a 2.5 hour Pontoon Charter!!!!

10518685_723671744342002_342863674905768

Erie Bait in St. Williams once again donated a rod combo!!! Thanks Mandie and Darryl!

10402548_723670617675448_174601924717435

Marina Shores Limited from Longpoint, ON donated a kids Mustang Lifejacket!

10407278_723670097675500_713483691276142

Hey guys! We sent out an e-mail to all of our registrants but I figured it wouldn't hurt to paste it here as well for anyone who's surfing OFC at work! lol

First off, I’d like to take a moment to thank you for supporting the Fish-A-Thon For A Cure. If you have attended the Fish-A-Thon in the past welcome back, we’re glad you have decided to participate again. If this is your first Fish-A-Thon, welcome, we’re excited to have you join us.

For those participants who are new the Fish-A-Thon For A Cure begins bright and early with registration, continues with a day on the lake, and concludes with a barbecue, awards, and prizes. It’s a fairly relaxed atmosphere and we leave it up to our participants to decide exactly what they’d like to take away from the experience. Below is an outline of the day’s activities as well as a list of items you’ll need for the event.

FISH-A-THON FOR A CURE 2014

7: 30 am to 9:00 am: Arrive At Deer Creek

When you arrive at Deer Creek Conservation Area you will be greeted by a park official or Fish-A-Thon For A Cure volunteer. This individual will collect your park entrance fee ( $11.00 per car ) and direct you to a parking space. Once you have parked your vehicle make your way to the registration table. Registration for the Fish-A-Thon is between 7:30 am and 9:00 am. Volunteers will be present all day so if you’d like to register earlier or later please feel free to do so.

At the registration table you will hand in your pledge sheets and check your name off on the participant list. You will then be given a registration package and a ticket. Your ticket has two purposes. First you will need to show your ticket at dinner time and second you will need your ticket if you would like to participate in the prize draws. DO NOT LOOSE YOUR TICKET.

After you have registered the real fun begins. If you are launching a boat volunteers will be present to direct you to the launch and help you should you need it. It is important to remember that there are 100-150 participants. Please be patient, boats will be launched much faster with everyone’s cooperation.

ELECTRIC MOTORS ONLY: The lake is an electric motor only lake. The LPRCA has been kind enough to allow boats in for our event with their gas motors on, but they have to be trimmed up and at NO TIME is anyone to use their gas motor for any reason. A phone number will be provided to all participants should you need assistance.

12:00 pm to 1:00 pm: Lunch in the Pavilion

If you’re looking for a shady place to eat your lunch feel free to swing by the pavillion. Come chat with other participants, find out what the fish are bitting on, grab a drink, or take a quick break. This year pizza will be available for $1.25 a slice on a first come, first served basis. We’ve ordered more than twice what we had last year so there should be plenty but please don’t wait until 1 pm to come in for pizza as you could miss out.

4:00 pm: Evening Activities

Largest Fish Contest
Should you choose to participate, prizes will be awarded to individuals who catch the largest fish of any species ( usually won by carp ), the biggest bass, and the Deer Creek Grand Slam ( bass, bluegill, crappie, perch, trout, carp ). To be eligible for the big fish prizes you must have a photo of your fish placed along a measuring tape. Photo entries must be brought to the judges before 5 pm.

Kids Activities
Face Painting, water balloons and a bouncy castle will be at the pavilion for any children who would like to take part.

BBQ
Hamburgers, hot dogs, salads, drinks and desserts. After a long day on the water come and enjoy a delicious barbecue made possible by our volunteers and our generous sponsors.

Awards and Prizes
As in the past we've got a ton of great prizes generously donated by our sponsors. Literally thousands of dollars worth of shirts, baits, rods, and so on have been donated for this year’s event. It is very important that we show our sponsors just how much we appreciate their donations by getting as many pledges as possible! Sponsors like to see that their prize donations have helped us to reach our fundraising goals. At the very least a minimum pledge total of $35 per adult is required if you’d like to receive a prize. Please swing by www.fish-a-thon.com/Fish-A-Thon_For_A_Cure/Sponsors.html for a full list of our supporters!

WHAT TO BRING
Fishing Gear (Rods, Tackle, Bait, Etc)
Fishing License
Boating Safety Equipment
Appropriate Clothing (Be prepared for all weather conditions)
Sunscreen
Lunch Food - Snacks etc.
Water/Drinks
Digital Camera/Phone- Something to take photos with
Measuring Tape
PLEDGE FORMS

Note: We will be providing everyone with a map of the lake.

Finally if you know anyone who would like to participate in the Fish-A-Thon For A Cure who has not already registered please have them contact me so that I can pass this information along.

Once again, thank you so much for your support. We look forward to seeing you at this year’s Fish-A-Thon For A Cure!

An awesome array of prizes there Ryan, kudos to the generous donors.

Since you're posting up some of the loot I'll add this which Mr. Bouck is picking up on Friday.

Custom 7' RX7 Rainshadow

6-10lb rating

Fuji Concept Alconite guides

Custom Birds Eye Maple reel seat and butt cap

Batson Gunmetal seat hardware

Black windings with metallic gunmetal trim

Custom Flor grade cork handle

and one XL T-shirt

zq37aqo.jpg

An awesome array of prizes there Ryan, kudos to the generous donors.

Since you're posting up some of the loot I'll add this which Mr. Bouck is picking up on Friday.

Custom 7' RX7 Rainshadow

6-10lb rating

Fuji Concept Alconite guides

Custom Birds Eye Maple reel seat and butt cap

Batson Gunmetal seat hardware

Black windings with metallic gunmetal trim

Custom Flor grade cork handle

and one XL T-shirt

zq37aqo.jpg

AWESOME THANKS so much for the post and the bonus shirt!!! I posted some pics of the rod above that you sent us but your breakdown is WAY better!

AWESOME THANKS so much for the post and the bonus shirt!!! I posted some pics of the rod above that you sent us but your breakdown is WAY better!

Oooops, I didn't see it Ryan, colour me red faced.

Thanks for the kind words and I'm quite honestly humbled and proud to be a small part of such a wonderful event.

Cheers to you and all those who help make it happen.