To fathers

sneak_e_pete

To all the fathers out there. I have 3 boys... My oldest is 7 today. Next Thursday I am taking him on a fly- in trip...just him and I...only cabin on the lake. His first real fishing trip and first time on a plane. My boys live with their mom, so I dont see them everyday. I am sure we will remember this trip forever. Flying with Buck and Bingwood lodge and staying at their White Owl Lake outpost. Mike Borger did a piece on this place last year and helped connect me with the outfitter.

I have dreamt about this moment since he was born. He is a dad's boy and loves fishing as much as I do. Will post a full report when we come back!

I don't know what to suggest, as I don't yet have the joy of a child.

However, I can only imagine the feeling you have right now.

At first I was going to say, "take lots of photo's".

but at second thought .... just enjoy it. enjoy the time.

you'll remember it forever (and so will your son).

I wish you great weather, no bugs, and beautiful sunrises and sunsets.

Take photos. Bring an inexpensive tripod so you can get in the pictures with your son.

Even less expensive point and shoot cameras have timers so you can jump in the scene.

Get others to snap a few photos of you two.

Have a great time !

Cheers !!!

good tip with the suggestion of a tripod. You want to be able to be in the pictures. I wish my dad would be in some of the pics I have. Just take it slow and enjoy every moment. No need to rush, you'll look back on this years from now and remember every moment like it was yesterday. This is definitely on my bucket list.

I did a couple fly ins with my kids when they were 10&5 and then again 12&7. They still talk about the "fun" family stuff we did over the fishing. Take a couple hours every day to do kid stuff. Get out of the boat every now and then and do some exploring along the shore. We did treasure hunts around the cabin and I made a list of easily predictable finds (pine cone, white rock,... ) that my kids did a couple of times that week. Also took a little "box of treasures" from the dollar store (games and toys) and when I could hid it around the cabin and then drew a map for them to find it. Take 20 steps from back door to big pine tree - kind of stuff.

Also plan meals that are kid fun like roasting hot dogs over the fire.

Enjoy your trip!!

Thanks all! Great idea about the tri-pod, going to pick one up. Also good advice about taking the time to enjoy the moments and not rushing. Bringing his favourite board games to play.

This kid is hardcore though. Many times I have said lets call it a day...freezing cold, tired...and he has said "please dad..lets get one more" :)