Broke my toe, any advice?

Joey

Broke my pinky toe last night. I had recently redone the spare room to make it a "walk in closet." I put rug in and the weight scale would not work on the rug so I put a glass cutting board underneath it. So last night, went to put my pajamas on and walked into the cutting board, with my pinky toe going underneath it and the rest of my foot not. I am in excrutiating pain right now and and wonder if anyone else has broken a toe and what I should do?

14461490390_589997dd32_h.jpgIMG_1443 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

14461551869_5b41a754a6_h.jpgIMG_1445 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

Hope its not like your tongue when you bite it, you usually bite it again and again, i dont think you want to keep banging that pinky toe over and over, even with the pretty toe nail polish it still looks pretty damn sore, id be putting on a pair of steel toed boots, and keep them on until that thing heals, between copious amounts of Black Zamubuka, or Dark Rum of course

Been there, done that. :(

As said, tape it to the next toe over and drink lots of rum!!! :ninja:

No.

Sorry to hear hun, as suggested tape it to the other toe, not too tight though. Ice 15 on 15 off. Ibuprofen to reduce swelling, wear loose fitting flexible footwear (flip flops) so you are able to not put pressure on the toe. After all that, watch where you are walking for the next couple weeks... As the slightest bump will make your toe sing!

Rest will help this more then anything.

G

Edited by Gerritt

Seeing a doctor is probably a good idea, especially if your now thinking of cutting it off. You probably would want a professional for something like that, regardless of how dark rum or Sambucca you have kicking around.

I'd go to ER asap if it were me. but yeah, elevate and ice it. while it may be a break, you may also have done some ligament damage.

just to reiterate cuz I think it warrants it, go to ER tonight.

and on a lighter note, great sandal tan :))))

Edited by woodenboater

Joey, it is hard to diagnose your foot just from your picture, but it does not look good. Lateral part of your foot is showing excessive ecchymosis (bruising), which is a sign of bleeding under your skin. It could just be your blood vessels that are damaged which heal quickly. Bones also have their own blood network and this takes longer to heal and it needs medical intervention to correct it. Go to the emerge and request an X-ray to be done and get cleared by a physician. Ice should not have contact with skin for more then 20 minutes at a time as necrosis of tissue will occur. No one at the hospital will put a cast on a broken toe but if your toe is broken you need to prevent contracture or else wearing any of your current shoes might become uncomfortable when your toe heals. You can buy a finger splinter at Shoppers which you can modify to fit over your fifth toe. You would have to wear sandals for a month if you decide to go this route. Since most of toe fractures occur during summer, wearing sandals is not an inconvenience :)

Hahahahaha, I was reading about how to take care of a broken pinky toe and someone mentioned their couch did a smackdown on their toe. Made me laugh.

It is a bit better today and I actually managed to walk the dog around the block. Still taped up and I've adjusted my Columbia sandals to keep it in place!

Thanks for the advice all, but after mom's heart attack and hematoma recently, I will not be going to the ER to sit there for 12 hours for them to tell me there's nothing I can do.

I'm thinking it's not broken or you still would not be able to walk on it without a cast.Mine was a bad sprain,looked broken,blue and swollen terrible ,doc said little ice and you would be a lot better in a couple days.When I broke my foot ,that was pain for the best part of two weeks.Hoping a bad sprain is all you have.