Pigeon Lake-Kawarthas in Early-October

T-Bone

A group consisting of me and my closest Canada trip buddies from over the years are planning a quick 3-dayer into Trails End Lodge on the north end of Pigeon Lake, weekend before Thanksgiving. This is a trip down memory lane for many of us as we spent our childhood and early-adult time romping and fishing this area year after year. We figured my 50th b-day celebration was a good time for a trip back, and decided on this weekend.

I'm sure we'll get the itch to go fishing, so I guess I'm asking...what should we expect? We now spend our summer trip on Lake Kipawa, QC and never have to look far for hungry walleyes, pike, and when we fish for them, even lakers.

We're not expecting that type of action, especially as late in the season as it is. And, in all honesty, it's not really about the fishing this time...but I'm curious anyway.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks.

Lots of guys trolling for muskie in the fall. Big baits.

You can still get plenty of fall muskies casting in the same locations as summer fish, infact it can be very good fishing.

Good waterfowl hunting if your into that. Peak of the migration is usually the full moon in Oct. Once hunting season opens, I dont fish, so not much help there.

I hear they catch the walleyes deep up there, or if you catch the frog migration, really shallow at night.

S.

Pigeontroller....I know where that shelf is; I recall one evening many years ago my cousin and I were fishing on one side of the boat catching walleyes one after the other. The other side of the boat....nada.

Good info on the big baits in 'summer locations' for muskies. I'm fairly confident we know a few of those locations, but I recall most conversations about targeting 'skis always mentioned the Nogies Creek area...from Bottom Islands back...

Thanks for the info...much appreciated.

Edited by T-Bone

I really enjoy September/October fishing on pigeon/ buckhorn. I usually find after the kids go back to school and the evenings get a little too cool for cottagers and weekend warriors, the traffic on the lake is significantly less and in my opinion I some of the best fishing times of the year. As soon as October hits it becomes big smallie and big muskie time for me as they are putting on the feed bag pretty good and those two species take most of my attention that time of year. I find that the snakes one might catch in july and early august can put on significant weight into October and even November, sometimes the action can be a little slower but size and weight can definitely be worth the wait. I have had some of my best muskie and smallie days in October and November taking both of my PB in those months.

• 2 weeks later...

Pigeon is quiet that time of year...When I used to be up there in October there were always boats fishing Walleye on the shelf at Birch pt. on the top of Boyd Island.

You talking about Sugar Bush?