Cayo Coco Cuba beach fishing

Burtess

Heading to Cayo Coco in a couple of weeks. Never been to Cuba before nor beach fished in salt water.

Anyone ever fished this area?

I am thinking a med. action spinning rod with 10pd mono. Bunch of Krocodiles and other similar spoons, some plugs, and jigs (white twisters and hair jigs).

I want to leave all my stuff behind for the locals but I understand that most use hand lines and bait. I would like to take a bunch of mono and hooks for them as well as I don't think they have much of anything. Sufix Premium is on sale at Sail for $2.49 per 1/4lb spool so I will pick up a few of these.... what pd test do the locals use for handlines? What size hooks do they use?

Any info would be appreciated by those that have been to this area or Cuba in general.

Thanks!!!

Burt :)

Regarding the Sufix Premium spool of mono, I'd check their copyright date. I was there last week and the top of the spool had a copyright date of 2009 in very tiny print. Dunno if 5 year old mono is reliable enough, which is probably why it's reduced to $2.49. I saw the same deal too, but switched to a different brand when I saw the copyright date.

Been there myself! Fishing was ok... The locals use small line and small hooks for hand lining. A lot of the stuff they catch are tiny fish. Buy small rolls of 4lb to share the wealth and they will appreciate it. In fact we brought some good condition old kids toys and clothes. Any t shirts or hats with any kind of English writing are good and make up is HUGE for the ladies. The people there like stuff more than money as even if you have the money, things are hard if not impossible to get. We brought the hotel manager a couple of cheap MP3 players and got an upgrade to a huge suite and extra reservations at the fancy restaurants. Start by emailing the hotel manager before you go and find out what their kid situation is then bring a couple of gifts for them, it will be worth it.

Edited by Shloim

Been to Cayo Coco, Cayo Guilermo many times. I always pack 20-25 test trilene and lots of leaders. Bring spreaders and good long pliers as everything has teeth!!! Bring lots of hooks and sinkers, silver spinners, white and red plugs. I never pack lures anymore as they take up too much room and I never had good luck with them. At your resort, go to the restaurants and ask for a bag of fresh uncooked shrimp, I usually pay $5. If you are close to the causeway, rent a moped or bike and take a day tour. there are so many different species to catch. the one picture is a snapper my wife caught, a cuda grabbed it and left us just the head! Hope you have a blast!

cuba.jpg

cuba 1.jpg

cuba 4.jpg

cuba2.jpg

Be careful about sharing educational materials with the schools. The government doesn't take kindly to this. Not sure if schools are operating in the summer months though. All other gifts are kindly accepted.

There is an area to the far side of the beach that isn't built up and looks good for fishing. You can also get a bike and travel a little on the island to find a bridge to fish off of. I saw a local catch a nice fish off of a bridge. That was heading farther into the island around the where you go on the speedboat (lol) rentals that include snorkelling. Wish I had a line with me when I did that. Nice area, bring some hot sauce or something to help the food.

I was there mid april and fished a bit. As fishimortician says, get some fresh shrimp from the kitchen. I found snorkling around was the best way to find out where the fish were and what they are. I didn't have any crazy days but got a lot of small fish and a few small barracuda. I would also catch a small fish, put it on a bigger rig and try to hook some of the bigger barracuda swimming around. I ended up only hooking one big guy, and almost landed it but ended up with just the head of my bait thrown back at me!

Here's a tip: Try fishing with banana's. It sounds crazy I know and goes strongly against the old fishing superstition... But on our last day of the trip, a few guests were wading around throwing banana pieces in the water and the fish just flocked to them like nothing I've seen. WAY more interest in banana then shrimp hahaha.. seriously.

Oh yeah - bring a few things for the locals. Fishing gear such as spools of mono as mentioned and terminal tackle like hooks and weights. The locals hand line and lots of them use rocks as weights and hooks that look like they forged them by hand. You'll probably make a few friends with the locals and get a few fishing spots in return.

Goodluck!

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to add I am allergic to shrimp so getting fresh from the kitchen is out!

Anyone used the Gulp Peeler Crabs? Or soft plastic craws on a jig?

Shloim mentioned 4lb test? Did you mean 40lb?? I have done more google searching and I think the locals are handlining 40-50lb test.

I picked up a Rapala Husky 7.5' combo from LeBaron for just over $20. Going to spool it with 12lb mono and leave it for a local fisherman when I leave.

Depending on where you fish they are tiny fish. the best I've ever caught after two trips and numerous tries was about a 2-3 lb fish. The locals I met that were hand lining were all using small line. I brought a few rolls of 20-25lb test and it was huge compared to what I saw them all using. That's why I said 4 lb. Someone recommended from trip advisor that I bring the 20lb and 2/0 hooks and it was all big comaritively speaking. That's all I'm saying I hope you have better luck than I did. Also I tried fishing more in Veradero than Cato coco, again good luck!

Edited by Shloim

I know I'm late to this thread , it's been a few years since I've been on this site, forgot how much I enjoyed it, I'll make it a habit again.

BANANAS will bring the fish into a frenzy like chumming, I've snorkelled in the Caribbean numerous times and for whatever reason they go...wait for it....bananas for them. Have a a line in and use bananas for chum, fish up to 5 lbs will come in, hook a smaller one and toss it out for a Cuda.

Hand lining uses 20-30 lb test the smaller line cuts your hands and when they get snagged the coral cuts small line like butter. Don't leave them any braid it will cut the begeesers out of there hands. Small hooks long shank for bluegills or trout will be good just make sure the eyes are big enough for the lines. I also found sabrinki rigs an excellent choice to use as well as leave behind. A hand full of weights are always appreciated in the islands. This info is not from going to Cuba but I have been all over the islands and these seem to be universally accepted.

Art

Went to Cayo Guillermo 2 years ago. Hired a local and trolled the flats for 2 hours (I believe it was $40). Caught some Jacks and Barracudas. Other than that fished the pier there, caught grunts, snappers etc.. mostly smaller fish. Fun time regardless!

Enjoy your trip :)

Thanks for the replies.

I forgot to add I am allergic to shrimp so getting fresh from the kitchen is out!

Anyone used the Gulp Peeler Crabs? Or soft plastic craws on a jig?

Shloim mentioned 4lb test? Did you mean 40lb?? I have done more google searching and I think the locals are handlining 40-50lb test.

I picked up a Rapala Husky 7.5' combo from LeBaron for just over $20. Going to spool it with 12lb mono and leave it for a local fisherman when I leave.

You will likely be able to find these marine snails along any rocky areas along the shore. Smash them carefully with a rock, and place on a small hook. You can catch numerous reef type fish with this bait, and if you are looking for bigger fish, you should be able to catch some small silvery fish to use as bait.

2071658-167-P1010848.jpg

For predatory fish, I have found that you can't retrieve your bait too fast in order to trigger strikes, the faster the better especially for Barracudas.

I have never been to cuba but have had good success fishing in the bahamas for bonefish with jigs, and in the caribbean (Antigua) casting 1/2oz saltwater Rat L Traps (order online).

I use a 3 peice travel rod and a 4000 size shimano spinning reel spooled with 12 pound test mono.

I do use a wire leader as a lot of saltwater fish have teeth.

last January in Antigua I hooked something huge on a Rat L trap, took out of ton of line and cut me off in some dock pilings. never saw the fish lol but thats life.

bottom bouncing hair jigs works well too. esp for bonefish and in cuba there should be tons!

good luck!

IMG_0316croppeddesktoppic.jpg