question on boat electronics/gps

AdamS

Hey everyone,

So I was away at a cottage this past weekend, took my 89 ranger boat out, fished for a bit, got lost on the water and ran out of gas lol (I laugh now because I survived)... Luckily I had a trolling motor and the lake wasn't too huge. This made me realize I need some form of gps on board. So, I'm just wondering people's thoughts on a good starter gps that would go on my dash. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on this but obviously I want it to be reliable. From what I understand most of the units out there these days are gps + fish finder or other things (which is fine) and it seems like most people have Lowrance or Humminbird (although which is better seems like a chevy vs. ford conversation).

So my questions are:

What do you recommend or use?

Do both companies offer packages with everything you need or do you have to buy each piece separately?

Do both allow you to link to another unit? eg.1 at the bow.

How hard is it to install/setup? - I know how to use tools but have no experience when it comes to boats.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks!

If you want to cheap offering, The lowrance Elite or the humminbird 5 series are what I would recomend. Anything smaller than a 5"screen can be challenging.

If you want to link the two together, you will need to look at the 7 series birds or I belive any of the HDS units from Lowrance. Both fishfinders need to be of the same make though and other than sharing waypoints or transducers, there really isn't a point for what you seem to be describing.

Installation isn't too bad. The intstructions are pretty easy to follow. Both my units are run through a fuse panel that runs directly to the battery. I did not tap into another power source as that can cause interference or shorting.

Hey Lape, thanks for the reply. I agree with you and want to get at least a 5" screen. I'll look at the 7 series too to compare. I'm happy installation isn't too bad as I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else if possible. What units are you running?

I purchased the navionics app last year and it has been the best 15 I've ever spent. Heavily drains battery power though but a cell phone is certainly handy out on the water. Used it several times and haven't got lost. Plus it's navionics so I can see all the contours and depths etc.

I have owned both over the years. Humminbird used to be pretty much junk, but they have come a looooonnnng way! I currently run a bird 597 and it's a great unit, however it is no better than a lowrance unit of comparable features. I have recently operated a bird 587, an elite 7, elite 5 and an HDS7 unit, all on friends boats, and while bird and lowrance are different they all are pretty user friendly. I don't think you can go wrong! If you have the cash I'd get an elite 7 touch. That thing is awesome!!! But I'm guessing you want to keep the budget reasonable, so in my mind you can't go wrong with a bird 597 or a lowrance elite 5hds. Have fun shopping!

Edited by porkpie

GPS units are almost indispensable on the water nowadays. I run Lowrance and I'm happy with their products. There's one thing that most folks no longer consider and that's GPS failure. As a reliable backup, get yourself a quality compass and if you don't already know, learn how to use it. It'll save your azz on land or sea. Just sayin'.

What Roy says. He uses Lowrance I use Humminbird, personal preference, Chevy vs Ford.........Always carry compass and map of the water you are on, learn to navigate with them and you will get home.

Hey Lape, thanks for the reply. I agree with you and want to get at least a 5" screen. I'll look at the 7 series too to compare. I'm happy installation isn't too bad as I'd rather do it myself than pay someone else if possible. What units are you running?

I run a lowrance Elite 5dsi at the wheel and a humminbird 561 grayscale at the bow. They are obviously not linked...

Lowrance now has the elite 5 hdi which gives you 2d and down imaging but I don't think there is a difference in the chartplotting capabilities. A color screen also really helps and there are no required add ons for temp sensors or GPS. Just know that if you mark a waypoint, it will be from where the unit is on the boat and not from the front or back.

Edited by Lape0019

if you just need GPS and mainly for emergencies get the navionics app for the smartphone. Its smart to have that even as backup in case your onboard GPS craps out.

I wouldn't trust a smartphone as a back up GPS... Especially when they aren't even close to being waterproof. Even a old Garmin unit will work just fine.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies. You've all given me some valuable information to think about. I'm going to look into the models you've stated and see which one will work best for me. I will most likely end up get something in the 5 series but those 7 series do look pretty sweet. I completely forgot Navionics had an app out so I'll check that out too for backup; keeping in mind I'll need a charged phone or a charger on board. Just to clarify, when you buy the unit, it does come with the transducer and all the wiring you need?