Trailer light issues

bassmaster4

Hey guys,

I'm having a strange issue with my trailer lights. First only my right side wasn't working, it was a popped fuse on my truck. I changed the fuse and it worked left and right signals, brake and tail lights, seemed everything was good. Two days later I am ready to go hit the water and I check my lights, the left side is not working switched the fuse, still not working, messed around with the ground and that did nothing. I checked the bulbs by putting the left ones into the right side light, they worked. Opened up the light housing and looked around in there everything looked normal. So today I'm messing around trying to figure this out and sometimes the left brake light and signal comes on, but other times it doesn't. When I have my tail lights on it also only sometimes work, right side consistently working. Also I will add that when the tail light on the left chooses to work and is on and I turn on the signal it doesn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance

I've got a 7 pin on my van, use a 7 to 4 adaptor for the trailers I have - had similar & other problems. I suspected it might be the adaptor so I spent about 20.00 on a new reese adaptor with built in tester. Immediately told me there was no left brake or turn signal from the vehicle.

Opened up the vehicle end of things and it was FULL of corrosion - ended up changing the whole thing out (about another 20.00 or so) and no problems since.

Michael

I'm with Garnet, sounds like a grounding wire problem. Trailer lights take a beating - in & out of the water, dusty road conditions etc. I had problems similar to what you describe. I purchased brand new LED submersible lights from CTC. ($70.00). Removed the old wiring & lights (was 5 years old). Installed the new wiring harness & lights - it's all good! I also ensured the wiring plug at my truck was nice & clean. Spray some WD 40 on the 2 plugs, polish with some steel wool. Now they go blink, blink when they're supposed to.

. Replace the bulb even if the bulb looks good. The drop of solder that makes the connection on the back may be worn down from vibration. While this sounds wacky it is very often the simple answer.

Art

If the right side works OK all the time it's most likely a ground issue in the left tail light housing itself.
These housings are really cheaply made and most wires are held in place with a pressure clip only.
Also where the tail light is bolted on will also develop corrosion and that is usually where the housing is grounded.

If the right side works OK all the time it's most likely a ground issue in the left tail light housing itself.

These housings are really cheaply made and most wires are held in place with a pressure clip only.

Also where the tail light is bolted on will also develop corrosion and that is usually where the housing is grounded.

Yep, this ^^

S.

Thanks for the input guys. I took the whole tail light out it seems fine but Ill try changing it, another strange thing is I hooked it up to my buddies truck and everything worked left and right signals and brakes but neither tail light would come on.