OPP Patrol boat set ablaze

Parnelly

a few years back,the opp patrols made the news several times. the over-aggressive tactics were unbearable..they evenconflicted with local police patrols.. with the aggressive tactics the opp marine patrol was finally reeled in.

it truly was over bearing..being checked 3 times in 1 boating day is arcane.

I pity the fisherman, fishermen, jet skier, or family that is out on the water and calls 911 for help and they cannot respond because some punk a.h. burned up the boat for kicks.

I hope it doesn't happen to anyone I know.

Regards

pretty soon you'll miss the days when you could cut a steak without needing a license for the knife...

do they do good work on the water? yes

do they give out some Bull tickets, which is hard to believe they aren't for the purpose of generating revenue? yes

don't condone the theft and vandalism though...funny how they haven't reported on how the boat managed to go on a joy ride....not like you can just take a cruiser for a joy ride very easily...funny how that works....

Laws must protect one from ones self.

Some laws protect us from those who cannot self regulate. For example, I can go out for dinner and have one beer, and then realize if I have any more I may start to become intoxicated and be a danger on the roads because I am not a drinker and have a low tolerance for alcohol. I then self regulate, and drink soda for the rest of the evening, or if I feel the occasional need to get smashed I may ask my wife to drive home and she is a smart girl and will limit herself to one drink. Enter the person who cannot self regulate, and they drink 7 or 8, realize they have no plan to get home, and say screw it I'm fine I'm a good driver. That person then kills a family on the way home from their grandparents house. Same situation on a boat, same people can't help themselves but to push the limit.

How to tell the difference between RCMP and OPP

The RCMP seem to think it illegal to leave your vehicle windows down..... so you get a ticket of 180.00

The OPP seem to think you dont have to take the keys out of boats paid for by the taxpayers...insurance shouldnt cover this

Should the RCMPs write the OPP a ticket? or should the tax payers pay for another boat ...keep in mind this boat was a replacement boat from the incident a few years ago

THIS JUST IN: Elgin County OPP have arrested and charged 20 year old Michael Larson of St. Thomas in connection to the theft and arson of the OPP police boat in Port Stanley on Wednesday, June 25th. He has been charged with theft over $5,000 and Arson.

Elgin OPP are still searching for 37 year old Gerald Jacques of Port Stanley. He faces the same charges as Larson

Ya, I suppose that's the crux of their anger, but I still don't quite get it. Imagine, fining people for not having enough life jackets. The nerve.

or imagine fining someone because they don't have a paper chart of the west end of lake ontario on board because diigital charts are not good enough. the carnage

Or the province still charging us every second year for the "fresh Air" program. That program ran it's life cycle out a number of years ago as it has taken most, if not all of the offending vehicles off the road.

Today, it is only a tax grab so those of us in the south... no fresh air test in the north!

HH

Cause we all know how high security boat ignitions are. You can start them just as fast with a hammer/screwdriver and a wrench.

Art

Isn't that the truth.

It only took me about 5 minutes to start my buddies boat, when he forgot the keys to his bow rider. Unplug the ignition switch connector from under the dash. Jumper-ed the battery feed to the ignition system with a 6" steel leader (Know your tackle box LOL) and then a pair of needle nose pliers to momentarily jumper the terminals of the ignition switch connector to crank the engine. I'm not as fast as the movies; but Gone In 300 Seconds. LOL

Dan.

Yup I had to jump a few boat switches in my time. The big boat the security is not in the keys but where they are hidden. The switches to start the motors are toggle switches on the panel but the search for the keyed switches will take some time. I also wired the battery switches backwards so off is on for an added measure. locks are for honest people for the most part anyone with the basic skills can pick the locks but more importantly anyone who wants to bypass a lock doesn't care if they damage it in the process. Not that any of this is right all that a lock does is prove intent of trespassing or burglary in a court of law.

Art

Common sense should however dictate that since they are cops they would use better security measures. Common sense....lol.......

Or maybe there's another vessel they have their eye on and this was ....well......