OPP Patrol boat set ablaze

Parnelly

One less ticket revenue generating vehicle in ontarios arsenal... One the people of Ontario paid for...

We pay for it, they charge us by writing tickets to operate it...

Seems legit...

Seems the OPP pissed someone off....

G

Just heard on the radio today that there has already been more water/alcohol related deaths this year than in all of last year! Just what we need, another police boat out of service!

There were only 4 water/alcohol deaths last year, but total water fatalities are not down. Good news is people have realized that water and booze don't mix. The bad news is we are always going to have accidents and people are going to die.

I'm suprised by all the letters in the "Comments" section at the end of the article. It's like people are angry that the OPP is infringing on their rights to drink and boat.

The comment theme in the article is similar to here. People are tired of the OPP's charade of using public safety as the catalyst for handing out fines. I believe that some of their work is for the good of all us, just not all of their work.

Truly sad actually

as far as revenue generators if your doing nothing wrong and everything is in order you have nothing to worry about wasting gas I think is a good trade off for enforcement

The pukes that did this need to be in a cell for a bit and be tagged for full restitution

and on the SAR end it puts people at risk to have a hole punched in the blanket

Im behind them 100% they are there to do a job and they do it well like I said if all your ducks are in a row you have nothing to worry about

IM GLAD THEY ARE OUT THERE

you get fines because you are not in compliance ....pretty straight forward logic if you ask me!!

Cheers

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

Truly sad actually

as far as revenue generators if your doing nothing wrong and everything is in order you have nothing to worry about wasting gas I think is a good trade off for enforcement

The pukes that did this need to be in a cell for a bit and be tagged for full restitution

and on the SAR end it puts people at risk to have a hole punched in the blanket

Im behind them 100% they are there to do a job and they do it well like I said if all your ducks are in a row you have nothing to worry about

IM GLAD THEY ARE OUT THERE

you get fines because you are not in compliance ....pretty straight forward logic if you ask me!!

Cheers

Peter

Don't get me wrong, what happen to this boat is a crime and those who did this should have to pay. As for compliance, there is a grey area for some but if your mandate is to generate revenue then there is no grey area, they label it "Zero Tolerance". So for the people that I know who have been fined for having a floating flashlight with dead batteries or a life jacket with a slight tear in a seam or being 15' from their dock in a paddleboat in 3' of water and not having a safety kit I would say that it's for the sheer objective of raising revenue and in no way the public safety.

And you're right they are out there to do their job only, it's not like they're telling us who we should or should not vote for.

Go to Honey Harbour or Detroit R on a Saturday. That explains why OPP patrols are absolutely needed and purposeful. Boaters drive full throttle thru narrow cuts and many have absolutely no understanding of regulations, courtesy and safety. They can barely dock their boat without incident in many cases.

I grew up in Honey Harbour and have seen some seriously messed up behaviour and accidents. If you don't speed and have your safety stuff then it's all good.

Landry

So for the people that I know who have been fined for having a floating flashlight with dead batteries or a life jacket with a slight tear in a seam or being 15' from their dock in a paddleboat in 3' of water and not having a safety kit I would say that it's for the sheer objective of raising revenue and in no way the public safety.

so lets look at that

first of you have a boat whatever form that takes and you put it in the water ther are rules:

1. a flashlight with dead batteries is just that dead or just a tube serves you or a rescuer no purpose at all

2. a life jacket with a tear especilly on a seam is a liability if for some reason you have an extended stay in the water and it all unravels who is to blame for that in this stae it is no longer certified it is garbage get a new one

3.a paddle boat slipped from the dock is now on the water regarless of how much is underneath and requires a safety kit

its not an objective to make money its an objective of safety

you wrote and passed the test same as driving hunting and many other things you abide by the rules of your givin pursuit its that simple

no sense whining about obvious requirments its law and you made a choice choices sometimes have consequenes

I really dont get what is so hard to understand just play by the rules and its all good

Cheers

Peter

I have no issues with complying with the rules of the road/water and if I decide to break them then I am big enough to pay the fine. For someone to destroy a vehicle be it a boat or a car should be an outrage to the community that paid for it in the first place. I live with the rule if it is not yours don't touch it without permission even if it is left idling at the wharf. Few things boil my blood as people doing stunts like this.

Art

If you don't abide by the rules you get a ticket. But if I have two hours to go out for a quick fish I don't want to be spending 25% of it producing all my filtered try again please every time they see me. Give me a sticker that says I;m compliant and leave me be. They don't stop me every time I get into my truck. So yeah I think its more about revenue then anything. Damn nanny state we live in.

There were only 4 water/alcohol deaths last year, but total water fatalities are not down. Good news is people have realized that water and booze don't mix. The bad news is we are always going to have accidents and people are going to die.

There have already been 7 this year. As for people realizing that booze and water don't mix; sorry but 37% of boaters admit to having a drink and operating their boat.

Don't want a ticket, obey the rules!

We have a sticker that is issued by the Coast Guard if you invite them to come aboard and check all of your equipment. It doesn't mean that you would not be spot checked by DNR. They usually will see the sticker and then ask to see 1 or 2 items from the list like a life vest and your extinguisher. They will then ask you to hold up your fishing license or we also have a whole boat license we can purchase for extra money that covers everyone on board. I have a personal license as well as the whole boat license to cover my friends that do not fish but once or twice a year. After a check or two DNR knows the boats they have checked and they will usually give you a wave and ask how the fishing is.

Art