Has anyone tried any of the marine mechanics on kijiji?

Shloim

Not a chance!!! A good reliable, warranty & manucterer supported mechanic is worth a premium.

What he said, a million times over. In a car you can pull over and be safe, in a broken down boat, not so much.

Honestly, it depends. I used a guy that ran and add out of the supershopper for years, and he worked out of his garage. He was a marine mechanic that worked in a large shop, and did work on the side. He always did good work, but he gave up on it eventually as he no longer needed the extra income. If you get a guy like that your probably good to go, if you get a deadbeat, well. Buyer beware I suppose!

buyer beware for sure, but I've came across nothing but good mechanics that were even willing to show me a few things, let me watch the work and Bull fishin stories all afternoon....also depends on your motor too really, still on warranty then definitely don't jeopardize the warranty

So, as it turns out I have a mechanic friend who now teaches so, I brought it to his school where he completely ripped out the wiring harness and replaced the fried parts put it all back together and then best of all, found a short where the trim motor wires were getting pinched. My friend likely saved me a 6-700 bill as it took us 6 hrs to fix it all. Anyway it all works like a charm and it fired right up too. Warranty is not a luxury I posses so I'd love to find a good mechanic thats less expensive than a big shop.

Give this a thought; a good tech is usually in one of two positions. He's has his own legit shop or is being paid well at a legit shop; that there's no need to do side jobs. That being said he could be a greedy guy that wants more money; meaning you're not leaving without paying full pop anyway. LOL

One other thing that most people do not realize about going to a legitimate repair facility. We have all the required insurances and have to abide by the law when dealing with people. For example a piece of repair equipment fails (Engine hoist) and drops the motor on a fender; it's covered by insurance. By law we must offer a minimum of a 90 day warrantee on parts & labour that are sold to you. Try getting anything like that out of a back yarder.

Dan.

I understand completely, I myself am a master electrician and operate and electrical contracting company. Fact of the matter is I get angry myself at fly by night electrical guys. Ill look for a real shop next time but hope to not need one....

Sheldon

Give this a thought; a good tech is usually in one of two positions. He's has his own legit shop or is being paid well at a legit shop; that there's no need to do side jobs. That being said he could be a greedy guy that wants more money; meaning you're not leaving without paying full pop anyway. LOL

One other thing that most people do not realize about going to a legitimate repair facility. We have all the required insurances and have to abide by the law when dealing with people. For example a piece of repair equipment fails (Engine hoist) and drops the motor on a fender; it's covered by insurance. By law we must offer a minimum of a 90 day warrantee on parts & labour that are sold to you. Try getting anything like that out of a back yarder.

Dan.

You forget the guys that just like to help other people out by not going to a dealer and getting bent over with 100/hr shop charges :)

When I tournament fished waiting 6 weeks was out of the question.

I have used a race boat guy in Whitby for years. Mostly because his first question is when do you need it. And I always got watch the diagnosis and the repair.

Same with anybody try to start with little things and see how it goes.

Most marine mechanic make there money in 8 months and side jobs a common.

Bill I do understand as I'm often one of those guys that gets called for help. But these guys I'm talking about are actively looking for work at a discounted rate. This comes from lower overhead but is that from not having insurance etc...

References, business licenses, place of work address, insurance are very important. My boat lives at a marina and a great talking mechanic helped out my slip neighbor. It seems his wallet was to heavy so after lightening it he did part of the job and disappeared like smoke.

Lesson learned

Art

Sometimes you think you are saving money and your not...I have a auto mechanic buddy that fixes outboard motors on the side. Great guy, who is always willing to help. He said he would fix an oil leak in the lower end on an older 6hp for me.

Unfortunately, he broke a part taking it apart- $130 plus tax for the part. I got the part he told me that the parts guy ordered the wrong part. I brought the lower unit to the parts guy. He says it doesn't fit because the threads were damaged when the old part was removed. Now I need a new housing-used $195 plus tax. Now I'm up to $400 in parts and a motor thats in pcs and has been in 2 shops for 6 weeks.

I should have taken it to a real shop in the first place.