DZ Licence - TRUCKERS NEED YOUR HELP! (N/F)

rbaquial

Hello,

So, lately I've been thinking about changing careers. Currently, I am in the I.T field and im finding it very mundane. I've been thinking of getting my DZ Licence.

Now, having said that - I'm pretty sure there are a few truckers on this forum that could chime in.

I am looking to take my DZ Licence (Currently I only have a G). Here are my questions...

1) Are there any prior qualifications to take/go for a DZ Licence?

2) I am looking to take a course (the shorter & cheaper - the better) - ANY RECOMMENDATIONS? My only real requirement here is that its close to Alliston, ON.

Trust me when I tell you this - I have NO KNOWLEDGE of DZ Licence - so, I apologize if these questions sound dumb!

Thanks Fella Addicts for yer Help!

A2F (Rob)

That's a huge downgrade, I wouldn't even consider it. If you're that bored with your job, that's really no ones fault but your own. As a guy who's been in the IT world for close to 20yrs, if you're bored switch specialties and learn a new skill.

The d and z are seperate, d is the driving part that allows you to drive a straight truck no trailer.

Z is your air brake endorsement, its a seperate course that cost about 250 and is done in one weekend.

You can book and write your d test easy enough

The first part is a written, just like your g1 and about as simple.

You can than go do your course where they will teach you how to drive and most give you a vehicle to do your d road test.

Your z has to be re written every 5 years your d is good for life i believe.

The opportunities open up a lot with this licence

You will always be able to get a job somewhere.

Im a concrete pump operator but i could drive a ready mix truck, dump truck, garbage truck, etc etc if need be.

Hope this helps

John

I knew a dispatcher for a trucking company and he told me the average length for a trucker to stick with that as a job is under ten years. So I agree with Bill think of other ways to enhance what you are doing, because truck driving isn't as glamorous as you think it is.

It was a great job, about 30 years ago. Wages were good in many companies, I even had benefits.

But log books became imperative and hours were cut short. Seemed like more paperwork than actually getting the job done.
Held an ABMZ for a long time but it also became a pain with getting medicals, rewriting tests and of course the money it took to keep it.
I wouldn't even consider it now. It was fun while it lasted.

huge downgrade. there are so many drivers looking for work that they've lowered all the wages.i have had my ACZ for about 10 years now and unless you do long haul,a good paying local job is slim pickings.the average wage for a d-z local driver and that usually includes some heavy labour is 13-16.00 an hour. unless youre looking to be a garbage or recycling truck driver,you'll have a hard time getting work locally.

It's a tough go these days.. you're also competing against fellows that are new to the country and are willing to work for peanuts just so they have a job and can get themselves established..

If you have never driven something with any size I recommend paying the money and get the proper training with a reputable truck driving school. Knowing you've been properly trained goes a long way when it comes to being confidant behind the wheel. There is tons of tight corners low bridges and downright terrible drivers in the gta. Still good money to be made if you get in at the right time and the right place. I make just under 30 bucks an hour and am home every night, although I have been with the company for almost fifteen years. Most food service company's pay around twenty an hour but it is definitely allot of heavy lifting. Good luck with the job search.

huge downgrade. there are so many drivers looking for work that they've lowered all the wages.i have had my ACZ for about 10 years now and unless you do long haul,a good paying local job is slim pickings.the average wage for a d-z local driver and that usually includes some heavy labour is 13-16.00 an hour. unless youre looking to be a garbage or recycling truck driver,you'll have a hard time getting work locally.

Around here guys with no experience driving dump trucks are starting at $18-20. The company I work for in Cambridge starts their guys at $24/hr so there is definitely decent money to be made. Then you have the guys who drive straight trucks doing long hauls and making well above average income, but aren't home very often. A friend of mine works out of Milton and makes $23/hr to drive a straight truck doing furniture deliveries.

Depending on your financial situation, you could buy a truck if you like the work. Owner/operators with straight trucks can easily make over $100-125k before expenses. Dump truck owner operators (I have one family member and one friend who do this) charge $70-80/hr which works out to $700-$1000 per day before expenses (take home/profit is around half your gross when you factor fuel, insurance, taxes, wear and tear) and you'll pocket plenty more money if you're capable of doing your own repairs and maintenance.

How much money do IT guys typically earn?

Have you considered anything else? Trades will always be in demand with fewer and fewer people wanting to "get their hands dirty".

For instance, a few years doing concrete work can easily result in a $30-$35/hr ($50k per 8-9 month season) position.

It really depends on what you do in the IT world. Entry level helpdesk job? 50-55k... Been in the game for a while, you should be making close to 100k (again depending on what you specialize in and where you work). I've got buddies that pay more in tax then I gross per year, some of the numbers I've seen are insane. But they've also spent a good 5-6 years hitting the books, getting the certs and now are getting paid.

If I was starting out in Barrie (and was 20 years younger), skilled trades would be a no brainer.

Edited by BillM

You make a lot more money driving Long Haul, but you spend that money living on the road. its a crappy life style. I did it for 2 years driving back and forth to Chino California, gone for 14 days at a time. home long enough to reset your hours and gone again. Spend your money elsewhere. upgrade you qualifications and do something else.

I don't know about the truck driving thing; but you're already trained in electronics.

Have you ever thought of the automotive field; it's no longer a hammer & screwdriver, back breaking trade; not for all of us anyway.

The average econobox car has as many as 10-12 computers networking and sharing information to keep all of the systems working.

We need young electronic smart people in our trade; once you have been recognized as a good diagnostician you can dam near wright your own ticket.

Dan.

Around here guys with no experience driving dump trucks are starting at $18-20. The company I work for in Cambridge starts their guys at $24/hr so there is definitely decent money to be made. Then you have the guys who drive straight trucks doing long hauls and making well above average income, but aren't home very often. A friend of mine works out of Milton and makes $23/hr to drive a straight truck doing furniture deliveries.

Depending on your financial situation, you could buy a truck if you like the work. Owner/operators with straight trucks can easily make over $100-125k before expenses. Dump truck owner operators (I have one family member and one friend who do this) charge $70-80/hr which works out to $700-$1000 per day before expenses (take home/profit is around half your gross when you factor fuel, insurance, taxes, wear and tear) and you'll pocket plenty more money if you're capable of doing your own repairs and maintenance.

How much money do IT guys typically earn?

like i said, the average is 13-16 an hour local work. there are always the exceptions like dump,concrete,fuel,havac ect. but not too many people are lucky enough to snag a job like that right out of school.there is way too much competition out there, also driving dump or concrete you will be laid off for the winter unless your one of the 3 or 4 old timers who have been with the company for many years.most of them try to plow or salt trucks for the winter. also your location factors in as well.im lucky enough where i have decent options but ive also have 10 years into this with a clean record and CVOR, i personally wouldnt recommend this to anyone unless they already have a foot in the door thru family or friends,