Boat Safety Equipment - New York State - Erie

zeeter

Hi Guys,

Planning on launching out of Fort Erie and heading over to Buffalo for some smallmouth in US waters. When looking up the required safety equipment it mentions the need for a visual distress signal (eg. flares). Is there an exception for Canadians? Also, do I need to bring my passport? Haven't done this for a few years, so just wondering if the rules have changed.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Techically you only need your passport if you land on US soil. I frequently fish NY waters and seldom worry about having my passport. That being said a buddy once asked an immigration officer we saw in Gander Mountain if he needed a Passport while fishing NY water, the guys answer was,"why not bring it, you never know who may stop you and ask for it"

Zeeter I fish the US side at least 2 days a week for the early season smallies , 2 years ago I was in the Buffalo harbour area and seen a US coast gaurd boat floating around so I pulled up to ask them that very question. The answer I got was that if your launching from the Canadian side and returning the same day then all you need is what is required by the Canadian coast gaurd . If however your are towing your boat across the border and launching from the US side you will require the US safety equipment. If you are travelling for an extended stay and launched from the Canadian you will need the US safety equipment.

Also I always bring my passport just incase of a unforeseen problem that forces me to land on US soil or if I'm forced to anchor. I also have the US border patrol phone # loaded on my phone to make the call in an emergency situation.

I hope this helps just remember this is 2 year old info so take it for what its worth. I follow these guidelines and have never had a problem.

Rob

They do have a new law in New York, PFD's must be worn on a boat under 21 feet in length during the cold water season, Nov 1st to May 1st.

good thread, i was in the 1000 islands on the weekend and they had heard this but thought it was year round, thx for clarifying Dave