Buying a used centrepin advice

tbaltovski

I just got a 11.5 ft streamside tranquillity and wanted to have a complete second outfit in addtion to my aventa outfit. I was looking through many forum recommendations about buying used high end centrepins such as an islander or kingpin. I did find some for sell but since I am not sure what could be wrong with them, I am very hesitate to buy them but current don't want to spend that much since I need to also find a good pair of waders. Anything to look for that may be wrong? Is it even worth it to have a islander on the streamside rod? Wader advice is welcome was well, I am looking to send about $200 on them.

I'd spend more $$$ on a set of waders then I would a reel. I'm guilty of spending quite a bit of $$$ on centerpin reels, but in the end all they do is hold line. Sure you'll have better start up on some vs others and better bearings etc, but if it's not in your budget, get a cheap reel (Especially if it's for a second setup) and spend that extra $$$ on waders.

Islanders are workhorses, I'd take that everyday over a KingPin. You could fish it for years and probably sell it for what you bought it for as long as you take care of it.

Edited by BillM

definitely agree on quality waders, take your used centre pin budget and up your wader budget...you will appreciate good waders when standing in a cold river much more than a flashy reel

I started using an aventa, still have it and it works just fine still today, can upgrade the bearings pretty easily

Thanks guys. I would be using the islander for my main outfit. I recently, upgrade my aventa's bearings to the boca bearings abec 7 as well but I find that I can't tighten the thumb screw on the reel too much or it won't start up quickly. I found that some people say that the orange seal rubs.

I was looking at the Simms freemason waders and boots for my higher end waders. Would that be a better choice?

definitely agree on quality waders, take your used centre pin budget and up your wader budget...you will appreciate good waders when standing in a cold river much more than a flashy reel

I started using an aventa, still have it and it works just fine still today, can upgrade the bearings pretty easily

That's what I have,and startup is real quick and smooth.

Bearings are better pressed out than tapped or driven. Damage is a good bet.

I totally agree. Bearings are meant to be pressed into place not hammered.

You do not need a press to do this. A good hand 6" clamp, will do .Adding a drop of oil will easy them in just nice.

I thought the replacement would be like this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIamIfMB9c but mine were not as easy to take out. I don't believe they are damaged but should I take them out and repress them?

I would just try to repress them. Maybe they are just not seated right. If you have a 6" clamp,give it a try. Use 1" pan washers on both sides to create equal/even pressure.

Edited by Misfish

I would just try to repress them. Maybe they are just not seated right. If you have a 6" clamp,give it a try. Use 1" pan washers on both sides to create equal/even pressure.

Any hints to get the bearings out? I don't want to press on the seal to get them out.

You dont have to get them out.

What I meant was, to just press/squeeze them again while they are already in. All you want to do is make sure they are set.

Add a drop or two of light oil to the rim of the bearings.

Edited by Misfish

You dont have to get them out.

What I meant was, to just press/squeeze them again while they are already in. All you want to do is make sure they are set.

Add a drop or two of light oil to the rim of the bearings.

Thanks Misfish, I'll try this, this weekend.

I'm referring to the orange seals. Take them off with a small hook.

I already have the bearings in. Wouldn't the spacer get in the way or just the outer ones? Thanks musky_hunter

I have owned both Islander and Kingpin and there is no comparison in my opinion. You couldn't give me an Islander that I would fish with, I had trouble with the one I bought new and have read too many horror stories about people and their Islanders. Some Islanders are suppose to run good, but I haven't seen one yet that I would run over my Kingpins or Riverkeeper.

I have a twenty year old islander that is rock solid and smooth as silk. It is heavier than the newer models. U can find prettier reels but, despite what many steelheaders think, it's not a fashion show:)

I rarely steelhead anymore but I would never sell it - ever.

Landry

For waders, one thing to keep in mind is that the right one for you really depends on what fits you best. Waders that fit poorly can lead to a few problems down the road. Too long and baggy and you can develop severe wear on the inseems. Too tight and your mobility is restricted. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably budget a little more on waders that fit and feel right over a new reel (but that's just me). You could always just use a spinning reel that you already own if you were really strapped for cash.

With that said, I've had my Islander since the 8th grade. It still has the original Abec 3 bearings. I've used it all over the great lakes with the exception of Lake Superior and it made the trip with me to BC a couple years ago. It's a workhorse of a reel that I will probably keep for the rest of my life.

I'd spend more $$$ on a set of waders then I would a reel. I'm guilty of spending quite a bit of $$$ on centerpin reels, but in the end all they do is hold line. Sure you'll have better start up on some vs others and better bearings etc, but if it's not in your budget, get a cheap reel (Especially if it's for a second setup) and spend that extra $$$ on waders.

Islanders are workhorses, I'd take that everyday over a KingPin. You could fish it for years and probably sell it for what you bought it for as long as you take care of it.

For waders, one thing to keep in mind is that the right one for you really depends on what fits you best. Waders that fit poorly can lead to a few problems down the road. Too long and baggy and you can develop severe wear on the inseems. Too tight and your mobility is restricted. If I was in your shoes, I'd probably budget a little more on waders that fit and feel right over a new reel (but that's just me). You could always just use a spinning reel that you already own if you were really strapped for cash.

With that said, I've had my Islander since the 8th grade. It still has the original Abec 3 bearings. I've used it all over the great lakes with the exception of Lake Superior and it made the trip with me to BC a couple years ago. It's a workhorse of a reel that I will probably keep for the rest of my life.

Thanks for this guys. I think I will go with the more expensive waders and stick to my aventa (maybe look for a second hand okuma for a backup). Has anyone had any experienced the simms freestones?

Edited by balto