Boat Issues (NF) - Tilt won't shut off

hutch4113

So we were cleaning up the Smokercraft last night - and I think my wife may have shorted out something. She was running a vaccum up in a side compartment - right up to where the throttle/tilt cables are.

Now my Tilt won't shut off (running in the down position) - if I hold the up button on both the motor/throttle Tilt shuts off (won't go up). As soon as I release - tilt starts up again.

Ended up disconnecting the battery for now.

Thoughts on what I need to do to fix it? Also not sure how to get access (maybe those with a Smokercraft/Legend - or that style of boat can advise?). It is a Pro Mag 182.

I am thinking it is just a loose wire - but not sure how to access it.

You don't have a remote tilt switch in the bow, with a tackle box shoved against it?

D'oh....that is probably it. She was putting things at the front of the boat, when the tilt went off - never thought to look there. I will try that tonight when I go home. Hope that is it - usually something simple.

Like Lew says, probably something pressing against or shorting the bow switch. Had that happen to me when fishing a bass tournament on Lake St. Clair. It was a nasty day that day and I took a few large waves over the bow on my bassboat. Then suddenly, my trim wouldn't stop and had to depress the up switch on the main throttle lever to stop it. Ended Had to wrap some duct tape around the switch for the ride in. When we got to shore I realized that water shorted the bow switch. BTW, duct tape is quite useful on board. :D

D'oh....that is probably it. She was putting things at the front of the boat, when the tilt went off - never thought to look there. I will try that tonight when I go home. Hope that is it - usually something simple.

lol. But she was sorry - so will let it go. Anyway - sounds like she didn't do anything anyway, so I will have to apologize...lol. (Not really)

Hey Tupelo,

It sounds like the trim and tilt switch is malfunctioning at the shifting controls in your boat. How old is your package? If you want to PM me the serial number of your outboard. I can check with Mercury about your warranty.

Cheers