Nostalgia

Joey

I was at mom's and noticed she had a picture from off her balcony from 40 or so years ago, so I did an after shot. What a difference.

Richmond Hill, Ontario, Yonge street between 16th ave and Major Mac facing east toward the David Dunlap Observatory.

Thought some of you might find it interesting.

BEFORE

14433746411_3626018378_b.jpgIMG_0840 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

AFTER

14457273043_f48e699bdd_b.jpgIMG_0841 by Joeyfishing, on Flickr

What a difference! I remember a field trip in school way way back when to the observatory and it seemed like a long ride in the country on the school bus from east end T.O. Also, I seem to recall the observatory having said it would cease operations at one time - due to "light pollution" caused by urban sprawl. That too was many years ago, the late 80's or early 90's. Wonder if that's a reality now?

Michael

That's a great comparison picture Joey and personally, I've always preferred farm fields to apartment buildings but unfortunately, that's progress.

But then again I'm old enough to remember Ontario before the 401 was built LOL

Like the song says "they paved paradise put up a parking lot " !!!!! Took all the trees put them in a tree museum,charged the people a dollar& a half just to see them !!!! The good old urban jungle !! Nice comparison Joey !!! What a difference for sure

What a difference! I remember a field trip in school way way back when to the observatory and it seemed like a long ride in the country on the school bus from east end T.O. Also, I seem to recall the observatory having said it would cease operations at one time - due to "light pollution" caused by urban sprawl. That too was many years ago, the late 80's or early 90's. Wonder if that's a reality now?

Michael

Very cool pictures Joey! Michael, I don't believe they really use it anymore, it's more of an education centre now.

Wow. Those trees have grown!

Just kidding....that's an amazing contrast. I lived around Yonge and Maj Mac for a few years so I remember the area. The thing I notice is the lack if corn fields. You used to drive past huge corn fields when heading SOUTH from Richmond Hill.

Yes, the observatory is still open, but you can't just go up there. You have to be part of a group. I went up to take pictures and they kicked me off the land. Said I was trespassing and that they'd have me arrested if I came back. He even made me show him the bird pictures I had taken to prove that's all I was doing. I called the "owners," a big corporation, and asked permission and they also said no. Said i was a liability and if I got hurt, they would be liable.

The other day I was just in the area, but not on the property, and saw the gate open and lots of people walking up there. So I followed suit and the guy at the gate was nicer, said have a nice walk and he hoped I got some good pictures. We had a chat on my way back and he said they were filming a movie there so that's why the gate was open. I told him about the guy who kicked me out and he laughed. He did mention that there were alot of coyotes (which I got pictures of before some of you may recall - but I was on the other side of the fence) and that there used to be 25 deer there, and they were down to 4 or 5, but up to about 25 coyotes now from a smaller amount. Said they find the freshly killed deer carcasses all the time.

It won't matter soon, they've gotten permission to build there now, even though the original owner had a clause in his will that nobody was to ever built there. Guess when you're dead, you can't complain :whistling: