Recommendation on sunglasses that truely polarized & 100% UV?

I am sure you can get cheap "truely" polarized glasses with 100% UV. The $20 sunglasses I bought at BPS seem just fine to me, although I cannot test to UV protection myself. You can test the polarization in the store by putting two pairs of sunglasses together at 90 degree angles, much like in that video with the monitor posted above.

The differences are going to be in the quality of the optics, not necessarily the polarization & protection. You will likely [hopefully] get increased clarity and better color with more expensive lenses. So, you have to gauge if that is important enough to spend 10x the $. For myself, it's not. However, I don't sight fish either. If I did, I'd probably invest in a better pair of shades.

I've had Smith photochromatic brownish tint and polarized glasses that were great but heavy. My understanding is that Smith can be difficult to work with on warranty and repairs. Rapala ones from CTC were ok for $20 buck but the fell apart after a year and one pair had a noticeable distortion. I've had Maui Jims for the last four years in prescription and they are the best so far. Not cheap but with the prescription I never have them off my head unless my regular glasses are on - in which case they are in the sturdy case they provide. Maui Jims seem to have exceptional polarization (all their glasses - not an option). So much so that they get get by with less tint to block out sun. I can were mine in really low light or on sunny days.

A stereo is only as good as your ears or the room and the same goes for glasses. Some percentage of people need glasses but don't wear them so why buy $$ glasses.

I saw a fish follow weekend my boat partner didn't... swapped sunglasses and he saw them... Will he go out and buy a pair of Maui Jims? I dunno, but you won't find me buying anything else.

Edited by BillM

You can buy Costas, Revos etc for $60 to $100 (glass lens or pc) from several very reputable websites. No need to cheap out.

Make sure you get the right colour for what you typically fish or at least 1 amber based colour and 1 grey based colour. Google search should tell you the rest.

Edited by BillsTheBassMan

Went on a deep sea fishing charter in Miami last year and the guide swears by his Abu Garcia polarized glasses. Granted, they were $350 a pair so I can see why he would! I tried them on and couldn't tell much of a difference with my $25 pair of H2Optics. But I think it was more of my lack of knowledge in knowing the differences between my pair and his. Just like how some people might not appreciate the difference between a Stradic and a Stella.

Edited by FrankTheRabbit

I love Maui Jims, decent value.

As discussed diff strokes for diff folks. For fishing those that won't spend the $ can get by, it's not a make or break kind of deal.

But my son and I also shoot skeet and trap. We use the same glasses as for fishing but with diff col lenses for diff days and col. Would never trust

cheapie stuff for that, ever.

$ does buy you better clarity, quality and safety

I'm not saying that a 200 dollar pair is 10x better than a 20 dollar pair......but to say there's no difference is absurd. I know a lot of fly fishermen who would emphatically disagree with you.

Put on a pair of Costas (glass, not plastic) or Smiths and compare them to your 20 dollar rapala or bass pro glasses. If the difference in what you can see isn't obvious, then I guess your "facts" are better than my "opinion".

Fly fisherman also buy $800 waders, $500 rods and reels. Just like anythjng you buy, you pay for brand name. You can find quality products for a good price and you can find expensive garbage. Try on different pairs and compare.