Boat Carpet

bassinator

Hi all....I have a 17 ft Starcraft Starfish...I bought the boat used and the previous owner smoked and lets just say the carpet is in desperate need of replacement. Can anyone suggest a reputable place to get it recarpeted and roughly what I can expect to pay??

Thanks Jeff

I picked up some outdoor carpet with a rubber backing from Rona. Grey/Black, low pile so hooks wouldn't get buried. applied a good carpet glue with a trowel and 2yrs later its still good. Some larger boat dealers/Marinas might have some stock, but most places I called had to order it in.

Im re-doing my boat as we speak. I went to Noah's Marine in Etobicoke to buy basically everything. They have a grey marine grade carpet that comes in 8' widths. I believe 17' cost me around 250$ ish. They also sell the marine specific glue you need. I tried to cheap out at Home Depot on the glue, but some of them actually say "not for marine use" on the containers so I didn't want to risk it. I needed a gallon which was about 70$, you will need more though as your boat is a 17', mines 14'.

Ensure you use stainless screws as well if they already havent been used. Did I forget to mention their expensive as hell? mounting 3 seats with stainless nuts and bolts ran me 70$. Home Hardware I found to be cheaper than Home Depot for stainless screws. If your going to staple as well, again stainless staples.

If you go in there talk to the younger Pakistani/Indian guy, the rest of them are useless and will point you to a needle in a hay stack as opposed to lead you to what you need.

II Agree with Fish4Eyes, stainless is a must. I found it WAY cheaper at any fastener centre... Bolts Plus, Fastenal, etc. Before I found that out, I actually found Home Hardware cheaper than the big box stores for stainless hardware. I built a casting deck in my 14'er, and even the stainless hinge for the trap door was half of what the box stores wanted at a fastener centre.

I also did a coat of fiberglass gel coat on the plywood before I put the carpet on. The previous owner supposedly did the floors 2 yrs ago, and they were already saggy and starting to rot. It was a fun little project, but not one I want to do every few yrs.....

the hoser: thats because they didn't use marine plywood. I payed 145+tax for a 3/4" sheet of meranti and I needed 3. Its quickly understood why most opt for traditional plywood.

It is certainly not cheap to do it properly. My boat is a 14' and I'm already in about 1200$ just for the floor alone.

It's a pricey job. Depends on the boat but I have a 16ft aluminum with everything pretty much carpeted and was quoted $1500-2000 most places. I did the job myself and ended up using over 30ft of 8ft wide carpet. I used contact cement for adhesive and 3m super77 spray for hard to glue places and reused most my hardware. For new hardware I went to Brafasco, the fastener companies have pretty much all sizes so easy to find what you need in one spot. If you do it, seal all your wood while you're at it.