Trailering boat jerks at stop and start

fisher

Just got a brand new boat and trailer couple months back and noticed that the trailer jerks when stopping and accelerating from the stop. Seems as though the weight shift forward on a stop and then shifts back on acceleration. Can't imagine this is good for the vehicle. Never happened before on my previous boat, but it was also much lighter.

I checked the ball and coupler and they are both 2".

Is this normal? Anyone else have same issue or suggestion.

Edited by fisher

Loose clamp jaw on the trailer coupler? There should be a big lock nut on the bottom you can try tightening a little at a time for this. Other options all involve making sure all hardware is tight - winch & mast, nose roller etc, bunks even. Something has to be loose in order to move would be the way I'd approach it.

Michael

It sure sounds like there's play in the coupler ?? Or receiver on the vehicle not a difficult fix is it's either or ?? Like poster above said check the big nut under the latch you lock your coupler to the ball you can tighten that and Gould stop it that's usually the culprit

Head out to a parking lot with a buddy; have them drive the tow vehicle, while you're in the boat watching for what/where the slop is?

I've had to weld the pin hole on the receiver for a few customer; four or five tacks and then drill it out to the proper size. Takes longer to get the welder out then it is to do the job. If the draw bar hole is worn; they're not very expensive go get another one, along with a locking pin.

Why I say a locking pin; we were rigging out of Sugarloaf for the day and it was dark when we go back in. Loaded up the boat and started heading home. Every time we started to go or slowed down CLUNK. Got out to check what was up and found that someone soled the pin; the safety chains were the only thing holding the draw bar from coming out.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

If you have surge brakes on your trailer make sure the brake fluid is topped up. If there's air in the lines you'll get that clunking as the coupler retracts and extends.

My brakes are fubar'ed onmy trailer and it clunks when stopping or starting, not looking forward to replacing almost everything to get rid of it. Been like it all last season since I bought the boat. I was just thinking about trying to tackle this problem yesterday but the beer won out!

On a trip south we decided to tow with my cuz's Envoy rather than my Black Beater that had 600K on it. It banged stop and start all the way to the lake. I looked at it the next day and the drop wasn't right from the ball to the hitch. It wasn't out by much but made a heck of a noise. Put a few washers below the ball and voila noise gone.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Will have to look at it closer when i get some time on the weekend.

Btw, I don't have trailer brakes. Must be one or

More of the things suggested. Drives me nuts and kind of glad that something is off and needs to be fixed.

you never did say what you where towing with but I know that the factory hitch on my 2010 gmc has a LARGER inside diameter than any receivers that you can buy. Mine thumped around quite a bit until I shimmed it with some sheet metal and now all is good.

vance

I am towing with an Acura MDX and the hitch was factory supplied and installed in 2009.

I have used this same hitch and ball with my older boat and it had no problem at all. From everyone's comments, I now suspect the coupler on this new trailer may be the culprit as come to think of it on a few occassions I had a hard time getting the trailer to load onto the ball - having to get it just right/wiggle/jump on it,etc.... I have tried in the past to move the bolt up/down to adjust the ball opening, but could never seem to get it right. I have verified that both the coupler and ball are 2"...I am wondering if the coupler may be defective, mis-shaped or even mis-represented as a 2".

I just picked up a new coupler at a place next to my work today and when I have time on the weekend will try to trouble shoot the problem, including replacing the coupler. Boat is stored elsewhere so have to wait to do this. Anyway, I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome.