Backwoods Lake Trout May 2014

4x4bassin

Our annual spring trip into the backwoods of central Ontario in search of lake trout has come and gone . The trip was very successful to say the least with lots of

trout caught , good weather , good friends and no bugs ! Here is a small report of our weekend .

Arrived at the trail head fairly early to a cloudy and cool start . A couple things I noticed right away was that there were no bugs to speak of and the surrounding trees

had just started to bud out , felt like March instead of May but I wasn't complaining it was just good to be out after a looooong winter !

P5160385_zpsb585ef6c.jpg

The trail ride in was the wettest I have ever seen it , with a couple small washouts but nothing we couldn't handle

P5160387_zps9f04195a.jpg

P5160389_zps1e6b8875.jpg

The main trail is really no big deal just long ( 10 km ) with a few mud crossings and rock climbs . Its the off shoot trail to the lake that is narrow , muddy and filled

with tire splitting rocks .

P5160390_zps00d7ddab.jpg

Once at camp we set up the tents cut up some firewood and headed out to find the lakers . The water temp. was pretty cool ( 49 degrees ) so we knew the

lake trout would be in shallow and scattered throughout the lake . The trolling gear was setup with a 1/2 oz inline weight and spoons . The lake trout were quite

aggressive all weekend and seemed to be really favoring the gold/red cleo that my boat partner had tied on . I had a silver williams tied on that usually

works but not this weekend , the gold and red was the ticket !

Here are just a few of the fish we caught that weekend

P5170392_zps5c58829e.jpg

P5170394_zps05d28fd3.jpg

P5180403_zpse3a9e42b.jpg

P5180400_zps465e4a49.jpg

P5180412_zpsf60b45ab.jpg

P5180396_zps23b0cbb7.jpg

Out of the 4 days we are there we have at least one fish fry , a couple unlucky lake trout for the pan

P5180404_zpsdc75297f.jpg

P5180407_zpsca198395.jpg

We were actually casting the shore for the lake trout as well , they were really up shallow , but this was my view for most of the weekend trolling along ( very relaxing )

P5180409_zps3c155f06.jpg

Here is a picture of our boats successful lure choices , 3" silver husky jerk , 3/4 oz darter with a fluke and the famous gold/red cleo

P5190417_zps040eb03f.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my little report and I hope to be back up there in a couple months , until then ...........

P5180414_zpsc769dd01.jpg

Cheers

Very cool! I just returned from a fly in trip out of White River for lakers and the gold/red cleo was also killer. FWIW that lure has traditionally been a killer for lake trout so I'm not surprised!

Many of our fish last week were already deep and a large number of them were caught on leadcore.