OOS Idiots targeting bass

cityfisher

NO. Grimsby

I don't / (kidd/kidding)

When I go fishing I target 1 fish or type of fish.

I do not throw lures that are in the 2-3inch range for out of season fish during their spawn cycle or whatever I pitch 5-8" lures for big pike...

I also know when and where the fish are.(I think)

Based on 40yrs of fishing along with the experience of endless days of fishing.

And yes.........

I can fish of any type that I listed plus more with success .

But I stay within the rules.

And staying within the rules is what this thread is all about?

Don.

You're stating the obvious. Targeting OOS fish is illegal and whether you've been fishing 4 days or 4 decades it's still illegal. We all agree. Now pay attention...the issue is the grey area when you're fishing for one LEGAL species in a way that others PERCEIVE as you targeting the OOS fish. To imply that there are no common angling techniques between species or that people don't make irrational judgements is as near-sighted as believing people don't target OOS fish.

I think this has been beat to death...You can't train OOS fish not to bite, they all hang out in similar water in May and June, they all love spinnerbaits, jigs, crankbaits, etc., we can't judge people's intent even though some people here think so, and if eliminating OOS fishing was as easy as some suggest, the MNR would up the fines and have a field day raking in money. So, buy your license, limit your catch, leave the lake or land better than you found it, call the MNR if you suspect a law is being broken AND have a nice day. Oh yeah, take kid fishing. Did I miss any?

And nothing is ever going to be done about it by whining on an online forum, so why bother. People can sure talk, but I don't see much walking being done.

I think you just have to leave this argument up to the individual and their personal morals to decide, there isn't miuch else you can do, also, for the most part if a lure will catch a walleye, it will catch a bass, or a pike, they are just fish. If you catch a bass or two, move along, or at least you probably should, in any case I dont think the bass population is in any great danger.

Those little green carp pull the crappie floats down, hit the eye twistertails, snap at the gar cranks and suck in pike spinnerbaits. They're swimming around everywhere!!!

"Excuse me OOS fish... do you mind? I'm enjoying my fishing here," I tells 'em.

Well...

They're just bass. :rofl2: Little be-alls and end-alls I guess.

Joking around here... sorta! :whistling:

Those little green carp pull the crappie floats down, hit the eye twistertails, snap at the gar cranks and suck in pike spinnerbaits. They're swimming around everywhere!!!

"Excuse me OOS fish... do you mind? I'm enjoying my fishing here," I tells 'em.

Well...

They're just bass. :rofl2: Little be-alls and end-alls I guess.

Joking around here... sorta! :whistling:

Like! :o)

I think this has been beat to death...You can't train OOS fish not to bite, they all hang out in similar water in May and June, they all love spinnerbaits, jigs, crankbaits, etc., we can't judge people's intent even though some people here think so, and if eliminating OOS fishing was as easy as some suggest, the MNR would up the fines and have a field day raking in money. So, buy your license, limit your catch, leave the lake or land better than you found it, call the MNR if you suspect a law is being broken AND have a nice day. Oh yeah, take kid fishing. Did I miss any?

I haven't gotten into this. I have Smallmouth spawn and bed right in front of my place. They are still on the beds. Grimsbylander, they will not only hit those baits, at times they will hit anything that moves. They were on the beds in 92 for opening and we were having a few pops on the deck. I made a bet they would hit a cigarette butt. Put 1 on a hook with a splitshot, I won the bet.

Both males and females are very aggressive at this time of their spawn cycle. The hens are on a post spawn feed and are overly aggressive.

What do we do this year when the Bass are still on the beds and legally take them? We are not going to wipe out an entire generation taking a bass off it's bed for the time it takes to land and release it, or even keep it. There are more than a dozen beds within the 75 feet of shore I have here, and those are only the beds I can see from the deck. There are millions of beds on this lake based on those we have right out front.

I've fished for many species both fresh and saltwater on more than a few continents. If I was told I could only fish for 1 species for the rest of my life my choice without even thinking twice would be Lake Erie Smallmouth, hands down the best fish pound for pound anywhere in the world. If I want to reel in a log, Walleye, heck Freshwater Water Drum outfight that lazy fish. I don't know about Musky I've never had the pleasure. King Salmon are up there for sure, as well as big Steelhead. But give me a Bass or give me death.

Edited by Old Ironmaker

The next question ...

If the bass are still on their beds after opener would you target them??

I would not and have switched over to pike in the past.

Going after bass defending their fry is like shooting fish in a barrel (shame on you)

Accidental catches while fishing for other species is common but you as a responsible angler need to decide what's rite based on your moral disposition.

Good luck :thumbsup_anim:

Don.

If I'm fishing one of the lakes close to home where bass are introduced and invasive...absofrickinlutely. Shame on me, I guess :P

Nothing like smallmouth caviar :)

That would apply to pretty well any bass lake in Ontario. Very few lakes in Ontario had bass before the gov't decided to introduce them to the lakes along all of the railway lines in Ontario.

what's even better is learning to fish for other species, that way you could fish from March to December, and only have to worry about bass for half of those months....

I fish 12 months a year now. You should maybe broaden your scope and include Jan and Feb. There's lots of good fishing available through the winter.

Yep, a well rounded angler can catch any species of fish, not just bass.

That's the ticket right there Shane !!!!! Why limit yourself to one species ?? Lol .... I know guys that do and I just don't understand they limit them selves to fishing for 3 maybe 4 months per year chasing one species of fish !!!! Hey that's just more for guys like us !!!! Lol ...

S.