OOS Idiots targeting bass

cityfisher

Hey all,

My family cottage is on a small lake in the Haliburton area.

Last couple years Ive seen a alarming amount of morons targeting bass this time of year. I have confrontted a couple of them and that didnt go over well. EIther i get the "take a hike" or MYOB or im targeting walleye ( yeah sure)

The lake im on also has walleye but a very small population compared to the bass & mostly only bites on a long line troll.

What are your thoughts on getting the word accross? The ministry is no help due to the minimal access and size of the lake.

I see it from march till june around my place, last guy tried to back talk me while hauling in a bass from under my dock, i made a quick movement towards his boat and he almost fell out lol.

I call people out on it constantly so they at the very least know that someones watching.

I threaten to call mnr, i call mnr, i pretend im taking pics and sometimes do.

My new favourite is having my gopro on my head and pushing record as they go by, sure makes them hustle out of my neck of the woods.

Why cant people wait??? Is there no other fish you can catch?? No other place to go??

They should all be kicked square in the arse with a steel toed boot

Take pictures of boats guys and if your lucky trucks or cars they are driving.

Send them in see if anything happens

Rather than sending them in , make copies and post in conspicuous spots around the lake. Probably stand a better chance shaming them into compliance.

I would think that educating these people as to the negative effects of pulling bass off beds might go a long way .

I think allot of people miss the point that you must target a particular fish when others are out of season that means not encroaching on fish that are spawning or pre spawn.

What these people don't know or care about is that they have all but ruined that fishes yearly reproduction cycle.

Thus giving themselves as well as other responsible anglers less opportunities in the future ..

I have long been an advocator of fishing courses or at the very least a written or on line test in order to get a fishing licence.

Case in point.

I work with some one who is educated and has purchased a fishing licence last week and he was raring to go.

So I asked him a few basic questions after talking to him and I was wondering (in my head) why this was such a big deal?

As it turns out he had absolutely NO idea of the regulations and I sent his head spinning to the point that he either gets his hands on the regs or he is afraid to go out in fear that he is doing something wrong.

Education is the only way ...

As for the wall of shame cool idea.

This could probably work if we all talk to our local bait & tackle stores and who knows OFC might jump on in?

Don.

it's a little tricky on the multi species lakes, on May 24 weekend, we were catching lakers in shallow bays in 4 fow,

with the pike and walleye expanding their range in Haliburton, the pre-season bass fishing is going to get worse

good for you for doing something and giving the offenders something to think about

I think that people are getting bent over a fish that is just about as prolific as can be. For gods sake they are big sunfish. I fish crappie and pike in shallow bays, fish pickerel and pike in waters that smallmouth frequent and catch a fair share of all species including some bass that don't happen to be in season. I don't flip docks, I don't throw tubes or senkos, but I still catch the damn things every trip out. To me bass are a species of last resort that I will only fish for if nothing else is doing. I just can't get stressed if some dude wants to target a fish that would bite a beer can with hooks. Particularly given all the northern states that have early or year round seasons and still have excellent bass fisherys. Weird!

Our lake has Bass, Walleye and Muskie. After Ice out I won't fish it until bass opener. Lots of other lakes without spawning fish in it. Call me old fashioned I guess.

Spinner, oh if only I could.

Porkie, I've gotten more people interested in fishing and the environment with 'those damn things' then anything else. Kids and people with a short attention span love catching fish. Get them hooked bringing in countless bass then teach them patience with other species.

Edited by jeremy84