Book Recommendation

Take your pick from this Canadian writer, Roderick Haig-Brown. Easy and interesting reading. Available at most libraries.

Starbuck Valley winter was my favorite, from many years ago.

Books[edit]

• Silver: The Life Story of an Atlantic Salmon (1931)
  • Pool and Rapid (1932)
  • Panther (1934)
  • The Western Angler (1939)
  • Return to the River (1941)
  • Timber (1942)
  • Starbuck Valley Winter (1943)
  • A River Never Sleeps (1946)
  • Saltwater Summer (1948)
  • On the Highest Hill (1949)
  • Measure of the Year (1950)
  • Fisherman's Spring (1951)
  • Fisherman's Winter (1954)
  • Mounted Police Patrol (1954)
  • Captain of the Discovery (1956)
  • Fisherman's Summer (1959)
  • The Farthest Shores (1960)
  • The Living Land (1961)
  • Fur and Gold (1962)
  • The Whale People (1962)
  • A Primer of Fly-Fishing (1964)
  • Fisherman's Fall (1964)
  • The Salmon (1974)
  • Bright Waters, Bright Fish (1980)
  • Alison's Fishing Birds (1980)
  • Woods and River Tales (1980)
  • The Master and His Fish (1981)
  • Writings and Reflections (1982)
Edited by floatman55

I can heartily recommend just about anything by Farley Mowat, and in your case I would recommend The Farfarers, a historic novel by one of the Greatest Canadian writers.

I personally am a science fiction / fantasy reader but Farley Mowat is one of those writers that no matter what your favourite genre you just cant put him down.

Give it a try and I hope you become a life long Farley Mowat fan.

Jim

some good books already mentioned

'Fishing with my old guy' by Paul Quarrington, light hearted and funny read

'Lines on the water' by David Adams Richards

I enjoy reading books about Canadian outlaws from back around turn of the century, just started 'The death of Albert Johnson, Mad trapper of rat river'

the very best book to read in a tent while camping is 'Bear Attacks, cause and avoidance' by Dr. Stephen Herrero

There are so many awesome books that fit into that category... but i think the top two I'd recommend to get you "hooked" would be:

Cache Lake Country

http://www.amazon.ca/Cache-Lake-Country-John-Rowlands/dp/0881504211
- fictional account (but apparently based on a true story) of a surveyor whose journeys in the north brought him upon a lake that he fell in love with and took up a home on. it details some really, really cool ways of surviving in the north (including drawings of how he devised his tools). I'll definitely re-read this one day in the future.

Along the Trail in Algonquin Park

http://www.amazon.ca/Along-Trail-Algonquin-Park-Ralph/dp/0920474195/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1401917898&sr=1-1

- especially close-to-home if you're a tripper, this book details a ton of historical APP information about fishing, the railroad, etc.

This is a great book too.

All about the early miners on Great Bear Lake.

Tales of living in tents @ -60, having axes shatter on frozen trees in the dead of winter.

Out of print now so buy it used or get the library to source it for you.

Great Bear: A Journey Remembered by Frederick B. Watt

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/offer-listing/0919315038/ref=dp_olp_used/179-8626220-6892362?ie=UTF8&condition=used

The original call of the wild. When I was in school our teacher used to read it to us a few pages a week. Could not wait until the next installment..

I love anything written about Ontario, places to visit . . . I'm in Ontario a tourism so it comes natural to want to know.

fiction is great, and I have read many, there's plenty to pick from, but I really get a kick out of the non fiction stuff

bare foot wader- good call on the Mad Trapper, here's 2 related books that are also worthwhile, and the Lost Patrol if you enjoyed the trapper stuff

100_3071_zps7232c471.jpg

I couldn't find my copy but, Trespassing in God's Country: George Theriault, great stories from a bush pilot, fishing and some hunting

Hap Wilson stuff, less fishing but a local, great outdoorsman,

100_3072_zps4fb9f584.jpg

here's an odd one, this is a text book, it can be bought pretty cheap online, it's super thick with tons of info that is interesting and that helps when fishing too, it's known as the bible

100_3075_zpsc89a4784.jpg

good thread, I'm hoping to find some new reading

You would have to go to a rare book dealer.

The works of Prof. Sherwood Fox. Of Western U.

"The Bruce Beckons"

"T Ain't Runnin No More"

His books were a big part of popularizing the Bruce Peninsula. My Grampa was his driver and guide through many of his hikes and misadventures.

Just about anything by Farley Mowat

Edited by bigugli

Into Thin Air - Jon Krakauer A personal account of the disaster that happened on Mount Everest in 1997. Awesome AWESOME book!

I read it all at once, couldn't put it down.

Edited by BillM

Hands down, the best piece of fiction that has fishing as a theme is "The Snowfly" by Joseph Heywood. I've read it three times. It's setting is northern Michigan. If you are a fly fisherman, it should be required reading. But any fisherman will get into it. Go to Amazon and take a look at it.

When it comes to books I typically only read non-fiction; never could understand why I should take the time to read something that is 'fantasy'...but I know plenty in my family that only ready fiction. To each their own...

I also love the northern adventure books, and here are a couple of my favorites:

Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromme (Bitteroot Wilderness, Montana)

The Houseboat Chronicles by Jake MacDonald (Minaki, Ontario)

Paradise Creek by David Scott (deep bush Canada)

....and one more from the chronicles...

Kipawa River Chronicles by Scott Sorensen (Kipawa, Quebec wilderness)

I've read and re-read these several times...just great escapes from the push and pull of normal life. Right now I'm reading Northern Wilderness by Ray Mears about bush-whacking in the Canadian boreal forest. Great so far.

Good luck...

For those with short attention spans Any anthology of Greg Clarks is always a smile maker. Short humourous stories of his misadventures while enjoying the outdoors. The books are tough to find but he is a Canadian Treasure IMO. The Mississuaga chapter of TU is named in his honour. My favourite quote of his should give you a sense of his humour as it relates to the outdoors

"A sportsman is one who not only will not show his own father where the best fishing holes are but will deliberately direct him to the wrong ones."

Other Canadian Outdoorish books that I've enjoyed include many of the others mentioned here already but also

http://www.amazon.ca/Denisons-Ice-Road-Edith-Iglauer/dp/1550170414 The Original Ice Road Truckers written in 1991

http://books.google.ca/books?id=SkzsAAAAMAAJ&source=gbs_similarbooks Death in the Barren Ground -A first hand account of the failed Hornsby expedition on the Thelon River

Traplines North-http://www.northlandoutfitters.com/traplintxt.htm A non fiction account about teenage fur trappers @ Nakina circa 1930.

Edited by Musky or Specks

One man's wilderness

The story of Dick Proenneke's time in Alaska in the cabin he built by hand! The short film he shot with a 8mm camera is great as well, it's on PBS once in a while. I am sure most have seen the movie, but the book is awesome as well.

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey: Richard Proenneke, Sam Keith: 9780882405131: Books - Amazon.ca

One man's wilderness

The story of Dick Proenneke's time in Alaska in the cabin he built by hand! The short film he shot with a 8mm camera is great as well, it's on PBS once in a while. I am sure most have seen the movie, but the book is awesome as well.

One Man's Wilderness: An Alaskan Odyssey: Richard Proenneke, Sam Keith: 9780882405131: Books - Amazon.ca

Her ya go