Cleanest-Purest Lakes in central to southern Ontario?

Does anyone know where I can find a report about which bodies of water are the cleanest/purest, or perhaps more importantly which lakes produce the healthiest fish?

I had heard somewhere that Simcoe was up there but wanted to read up.

Any and all info is welcome.

Thank you for your time folks!

I'd also say the fish eating guide and perhaps if the lake still has a reasonably sized natural population of trout in it. Maybe it's untrue, but I've always considered trout to be the canary of water bodies. Of course, many lakes don't have the required habitat that trout need so they were never there, but plenty do.

Cleanest compared to what benchmark? Is there any lake in those regions one would consider drinking straight from it? I know I wouldn't if I didn't have to. Educate me. Oh yea, I'm originally from Hamilton, we used to go up north to Wasaga Beach for May 24. Orillia was near the Artic Circle we thought. Maps hadn't been invented yet you must understand.

I would try contacting the MOE for this type of information.

The organization I work for would collect clams from Balsam Lake to use as the 'control'/base level of toxicity. The other clams would be deployed in traps along the Toronto waterfront and at the end of the season the accumulated toxins would be compared to the 'control'. Why Balsam you ask? It's the highest point in the Trent Canal system so everything flows out and away, hence less likely to accumulate toxins. "Clean" is a relative comparison. :canadian:

"Clean" is a relative comparison. :canadian:

very true. Because of air borne contaminants not even Arctic lakes are pristine. Think about that if you are tempted to throw plastic on an open fire. Also bear in mind that many lakes around G Bay have naturally occurring mercury, so even though they may have no external sources of pollution, the recommended # of fish that can be safely eaten is still limited.