Recommendation Request: Butcher/Meat Shop in North Bay (NF)

T-Bone

Starting to plan and prep for the annual Lake Kipawa trip in July.

We usually bring up about 396 pounds of meat from Ohio on dry ice in a huge cooler. This year we're thinking about skipping that hassle and just getting our meats up in North Bay before we "head in" to Lake Kipawa for a week of fishing heaven on earth.

Any recommendation out there for a good butcher / meat shop in North Bay?

Thanks in advance for your insights...

Hey T Bone,

I dont know North Bay but I have a cottage just North of Huntsville which is about 90mins south from North Bay. I always use Big Daddy's Fresh Meats. Meat is always awesome. Never had an issue. You can also call and place orders.

I highly reconmend them

Cheers

Thanks for the replies; we're coming from the south (TO, Muskoka) so only Huntsville and North Bay are good options.

Mike...is the 'independent' store in North Bay? If so, approximate location and/or name? Or are you talking about the one in Temiscaming?

Thanks again everyone...just what I needed.

Our grocery store here in Temiscaming has been closed down for approx a year and a half now and our new store wont be open this summer so don't count on that!

The independent in North bay is in Northgate mall right on the corner of 17 and 63, which would be very convinient for you

Yes Joey...I was aware the Provigo was closed about Christmastime in 2012. Exciting news on the new IGA up there though.

And thanks Mike...I'll scope it out when we enter town and go from there.

Thanks.

I've got nothing against the Sault...love that area. It's just that route adds a little over 170 miles to the trip and about 2.5-3 hours to the route time. And we have a certain cadence to going up via Buffalo / TO / Muskoka area. And now we know where to shop for meat... :lol:

The Independent is a large grocery store on the corner of 11/17 and Trout Lake Rd. You can't miss it. It has a butcher shop in the store, you can ask for different cuts than what is out. I picked up a brisket there and the guy brought it out from the back and I was able to ask for exactly the portion I wanted. If you are looking for an actual butcher shop Don's in Sturgeon Falls, 30 mins west of North Bay, is very good as others have said.