Mosquitoes!!

Weeds

Bought 2 of those stinger bug zappers from costco, its the only thing that stops us from being eaten alive at the cottage

They are not meant for Mosquitos though right? As Mosquitos are not attracted to light sources in my experience. Or is this a new product I am unaware of?

G

Edit to add: after looking it up it appears to have an attractant, how often do u need to refill it?

Edited by Gerritt

I have to move 2 cords of wood today, take down an old portable garage, erect a new 12 X 20' portable garage, then move the 2 cords of wood back into their new home.

I imagine I'll be one very LARGE mosquito bite by the time that's all done LOL

See if your big hairy black visitor will help out, seeing your giving him free board, maybe add some honey to spice things up a bit Lew

My wife gets eaten alive every year...she has a process she goes through....she starts a few days before we are going to the cottage by taking B12 vitamins.....then as we are leaving B12 patches, at least 2, then she carries the Thermocell and once up there, OFF Skintastic and she also has a thermocell lattern with her....

She stills gets the odd bite, but nothing like the first year where she just used bug spray, she really suffered for about a week after that...

Thermacell works awesome!!! The clip on off gadgets supposedly work ok too, my gf uses one and says it helps.

Skitters are bad for sure. If I'm doing anything out side, stationary, I have the thermacell with me. It does help a lot.

S.

A few years ago I ended up buying a bug jacket

http://www.bugshirt.com/

One of the best investments I ever made. The trout streams I fish are just swarming with giant mosquitoes. You would have to bathe in DEET to not get swarmed. Hands are still exposed though but it could be a lot worse.

I have a thermacell but I'm still on the fence about its effectiveness (especially out in the open).

Last year I bought a few of the Simms NoFlyZone shirts that were heavily discounted. I haven't really put them to the test yet.

On my next trip to the states, I'm looking to pick up some repellent made with picaridin. Apparently it doesn't melt plastic or synthetic clothing like DEET does and is just as effective. I would be devastated if I saw my camera equipment start to melt.

I buy this stuff in Ohio called camp fog it's great for skeeters just spray the grass and bushes before everyone is heading out back and it kills off most of them and its smells ok.

We have tons of skeeters in the SW corner of Ontario this year also. Last night I could only manage to pick worms for 20 min before getting eaten (yes I'm out of camp fog right now)

For heading into the bush I used stuff called decca it was in a brown labeled spray can and worked great. I now have MAXX deet it sure does the trick but don't use to much just a bit.

I never cross the border without a supply of deet 100 and a bug suit. The deet 100 can be sprayed on clothing and hats without getting it on the skin. I am sorry that it is not available up North I think it works the best and that you all have the ability to use it correctly.

Art

My wife would chew everyones ears off about how bad Deet is for you and nature....

We went fishing for the evening last night and her home-made witchhazel cocoction actually held up to my 30% Deet 'Off" brand. I don't ever remember seeing mosq's so bad/thick.

The mosquito's were the worst I've ever seen in Northeastern Ontario last year. Sounds like that may be the case again this year. I for one believe it is in large part caused by that wicked white mouth fungus that has greatly reduced the bat population over the last few years.

The blackflies have started to slow down a bit even in Haliburton !!!! But the friggin mosquitoes are just brutal !!! I got to the boat ramp yesterday morning and it was 6 degrees out and they were there in swarms & clouds !!!! Brutal and until the breeze got up there were following me on the lake too !!!! I'm still covered in blackfly bites and now the skeeters are out big time !!!! Have not seen them this bad in a long time !!!!! Left me truck door open for like 1 minute while I was loading up the boat !!!! OMG there was 500 in my truck can !!!!! Little asshats !!!!!! Man ...... Grrrrrrrrrrr

first off… will take black flies over mosquitoes any day.

ok, am south of North Bay and the black flies had a short run this season (although they reappeared last night for a spell). The mosquitoes are the worst I have ever seen. coils burning, themocell inside etc..top of my head is a mess of lumpy bites. I find Afterbite (or anything with ammonia) helps control the itch.

anyone have experience with these CO2 generators ? thinking of one for the yard so the evenings aren't a total write-off.

Edited by woodenboater

I took a coffee out on the back deck about 5:30 this morning and was absolutely swarmed by the skeeters.

Now I've been working in the yard since 6:30 and haven't seen a single one in the last hour.

Where me and the wife went fishing the other day, I saw the most mosq's I've ever seen. Kinda weird. Maybe the bat population does have something to do with it. Or many it's just ripe conditions for those evil flies.

Blackflies are essentially peaking around North Bay, it seems. A couple or more weeks and they'll be in the memory bank.

I've got a wood awning on my deck at the trailer and when the neighbors saw that I was installing a ceiling fan they all laughed. "Why would you want a ceiling fan on an open air deck?"

Guess where a bunch of them come to sit now when the skeeters are bad.

The breeze from the fan usually keeps the little burgers at bay; step off the deck and you had better start running.

We also have these little lantern things that we place under the table; between both we can sit out fairly comfortable.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/sports-rec/camping/mosquito-repellents/off-powerpad-mosquito-lamp-0593540p.html#.U4xthXJdWSo

Dan.

I need to talk to the neighbour that moved in beside me this past winter.... The previous owners installed a pond. That is now full of rotten stagnant water as the new owner is not using it nor has emptied it.... Go anywhere near the fence and you are doomed.... And guess where my back deck is.....

I need to say something...

G

Just back from our fly in trip and I think we saw 2 skeeters and a couple dozen black flies and that was on our last day. Who would have thought a trip to northern Ontario could be a bug free event at the end of May. I'm a firm believer in the Thermocell or the OFF clip on. Have use both on our fly in trips over the years with great success. Calm conditions are best for either.

My wife gets eaten alive every year...she has a process she goes through....she starts a few days before we are going to the cottage by taking B12 vitamins.....then as we are leaving B12 patches, at least 2, then she carries the Thermocell and once up there, OFF Skintastic and she also has a thermocell lattern with her....

She stills gets the odd bite, but nothing like the first year where she just used bug spray, she really suffered for about a week after that...

Just started taking b12, let's see if it's all that it's hyped up to be!

We've used/trialed the B12 patches before the brother of a friend presented them on The Dragons Den. They are effective but the B12 that permeates through your skin spores is somewhat of a foul odor for those with sensitive smell. The smell also transfers to your bedding & clothing making it difficult to get through the weekend with one pair of undies & t-shirt ;)

An added benefit to the B12 patches was that they also minimized hangovers (according to rumour ;) )

Edited by pikeslayer

We noticed that the blackfies were just starting to decline. Line another poster mentioned, I'd give em 2 weeks and then they will be mostly gone. The mosquito's were just horrible though.

I came across this somewhere on the internet. Its a DIY project for a mosquito trap. I'd be interested in giving it a shot since we already run a solar system that I could easily access.

http://youtu.be/pU2kbghz85I

Basically, use a powerful barrel fan with a mess covering the intake. Certainly not a new concept but I can see it possibly being able to put a dent in population that is near your place. Do you guys think this could work?

Edited by ctranter