A discussion on our rights(fishing/hunting related)

The old laws regarding squatters rights/adverse possession on Crown land were repealed several years back. Under the old law you needed to occupy the patch of land for upward of 7 years before the courts would recognize entitlement. At any time during those 7 years, you were subject to eviction for trespass and any home you built torn down.

yeah---try leavin your camper parked on a crown site for over 30 days---you'll get the notice

Funny you bring up our position not differing much from other wildlife Manitou...

Everyone likely remembers this work I did a while back (now sold)

moo 004.JPG

Well that opened up a "Global" discussion with some fellow artists about the origin of the canvas so to speak--apparently I'm a tad cruel

Meh...some arteests--I think they eat too much tofu

Anyway I tried to put it into these terms to bring in another perspective

Scenario #1....pack of wolves take down a moose---everyone is accepting----nature at work ...correct?

Scenario #2....My buddy who is Chief of a FN Band in Northern Ontario---shoots an extra moose if possible to give to the town elders who can no longer hunt for themselves....charitable and kind....good stuff

Scenario #3.....Sexy painter guy shoots a moose-----shares some with his buddy---feeds his family for the year---no waste---even make artwork out of the antlers---no waste Should note legally)

Scenario #4....Moose gets tagged by a train or truck (which happens lots)---moose rots unused in the ditch---yet somehow is the cost of biz---reasoned to be acceptable

So the same moose getting killed can be viewed in several ways---to some acceptable to others not so much----matter of perspective

Edited by bushart

One of the only times it was cost effective to harvest my own fish or meat over just plain buying was as a teen snaring a few rabbits with two bit coil of brass snare wire and potting a few more with a single shot .22 when long rifles were 49 cents a box in the bush behind my parent's house. Since I've owned a drivers licence rarely has anything been cost effective, and that is even more true today with gas over 5 a gal rather than putting 2 bucks in that old 68 beetle for the weekend. Really is anyone really financially ahead in the long run unless maybe you have a woodlot or a body of water in your backyard and use really basic gear?

Many years ago I was taught to ignore the concept of "rights" and focus on what personal "responsibilities" I have.

I don't have the "right" to harvest game ..... I have the "responsibility" to be a good steward of the resources God gave us and to follow all the applicable rules and regulations put in place by the authorities.

I don't have the "right" to travel to Canada and fish .... I have the "responsibility" to be a well-behaved tourist who follows the rules and is a good representative of the U.S.

With all that said, certain responsibilities (such as feeding my family) will come above others (such as following game laws). Frankly, I think the original question is silly ..... of course we would all illegally harvest game/fish in order to feed our starving children.

Many years ago I was taught to ignore the concept of "rights" and focus on what personal "responsibilities" I have.

I don't have the "right" to harvest game ..... I have the "responsibility" to be a good steward of the resources God gave us and to follow all the applicable rules and regulations put in place by the authorities.

I don't have the "right" to travel to Canada and fish .... I have the "responsibility" to be a well-behaved tourist who follows the rules and is a good representative of the U.S.

With all that said, certain responsibilities (such as feeding my family) will come above others (such as following game laws). Frankly, I think the original question is silly ..... of course we would all illegally harvest game/fish in order to feed our starving children.

balance is what is needed…both 'concepts' need to be observed.

Sorry Rick, I'd have to agree that the original question is kind of silly….a non question really.

Edited by limeyangler

Just a different idea for a thread that never gets brought up. The same old post get get boring. I liked reading the responses. It's not silly to me to create conversation of a different type. But if you find it silly no need to apologize lol. It's just a thread on a fishing board

Just a different idea for a thread that never gets brought up. The same old post get get boring. I liked reading the responses. It's not silly to me to create conversation of a different type. But if you find it silly no need to apologize lol. It's just a thread on a fishing board

No, i have to disagree with you because i hate you and want to fight you to the death.

and I say that with utmost respect. If hungry...feed the family. I truly believe conservation laws wouldn't be needed if most consumed game when needed...

100% AGREE with this statement. As needed is the key. its the palukas who get greedy that ruin it for everyone. I remember as a kid going to the marina fishing around the channels watching the old guys come in with cooler(S) full of walleye and perch. sure they were saving some money not going to the grocery store to get meat but that is shear greed. Even then I knew there was something wrong with that.My grandad and dad use to take me fishing and they wold pack things to prepare a shore meal. and that was our supper. catch a fish or 2 fry some chips with some fresh fish.

Keep Just enough for a nice meal, throw the rest back.

That drives me crazy outlaw!!!!!! Just plain laziness,. Fish should be cleaned asap and frozen in a way that they will last. Frozen in water if you're planning on keeping it for awhile. I believe that one of the bigger lakes in southern Ontario has this problem in a huge way.

I'd NEVER allow that outlaw. In fact i quit freezing fish along long time ago. Only eat fresh a few times per year. But yeah i bet lots of people do that and thats just brutal. If that ever did happen id at least feed my dogs. Big no no to waste. In our house no food, fish or not, goes to waste. Utilize every thing you can. It's just common sense really.

wouldn't be much but a two hit fight. Me hitting you and you hitting the ground. Hahaha

Hey!..Hey!...what's the Vegas Odds on this match....is it on TSN?

Can You see it?

OFC...Molson Breweries...Ced-Art....& Uncle Josh...."Proudly Presents'

RUMBLE IN THE RAINFOREST!!!

In the red corner......The Christie Island Crusher.......The Mile Lake Maurader..................."JOHNNY WABIGOON"

In the blue Corner...The Slasher of Sawbill........The Rainy Lake Rampager............................"The Fort Frances Fishkiller"

OK boys...lets have a fair fight....No live bait ....and go to a neutral lake if Skunked :):):)

Hey!..Hey!...what's the Vegas Odds on this match....is it on TSN?

Can You see it?

OFC...Molson Breweries...Ced-Art....& Uncle Josh...."Proudly Presents'

RUMBLE IN THE RAINFOREST!!!

In the red corner......The Christie Island Crusher.......The Mile Lake Maurader..................."JOHNNY WABIGOON"

In the blue Corner...The Slasher of Sawbill........The Rainy Lake Rampager............................"The Fort Frances Fishkiller"

OK boys...lets have a fair fight....No live bait ....and go to a neutral lake if Skunked :):):)

thishad me in stitches:) I'm game. Well pick a lake and go at er. We both have go pros too:) this would be fun!!! Simon, you listening???

thishad me in stitches:) I'm game. Well pick a lake and go at er. We both have go pros too:) this would be fun!!! Simon, you listening???

That is Hilahriosso!

It would give us the excuse to meet up …long overdue!

Great idea Bushy!