Boat won't plane

bassmaster4

From the way I'm seeing that picture I don't think that's your trim adjustment, that's just to set the angle for when your trailering.

You're looking for the adjustment shown in the pictures posted by bare foot wader.

Edited by lew

From the way I'm seeing that picture I don't think that's your trim adjustment, that's just to set the angle for when your trailering.

You're looking for the adjustment shown in the pictures posted by bare foot wader.

The only thing on my motor that looks anything like what i saw in that diagram was that pin with the three settings. When changing to any number I'm still able to put my motor up.

This is from the Mercury website.

The Mercury 9.9 FourStroke does not have a trim pin like the other brands have. Do I need to buy one?

No. The 8 and 9.9 horsepower FourStrokes feature an integrated automatic ratcheting trim system that does not require a separate trim pin. Just tilt the outboard to the desired position and that’s it. When you want to return to the down position, just ratchet the outboard all the way up and allow it to return to the down position once again.

My 9.9 FourStroke has three positions marked on the transom bracket, but my Operation, Maintenance & Warranty manual says that I have six trim positions. Which is correct?

The Mercury 8 and 9.9 FourStroke outboards with manual trim have six trim positions that allow the user to select the best position simply by pushing down on the tiller or lifting the rear of the outboard up.

The three positions marked on the side of the clamp bracket indicate the "preset tuck" position. By setting this feature in either 1, 2 or 3, the outboard can be set to return to this same position every time. For example, if your boat operates best in the second trim position, then set the "preset tuck" to 2, and the outboard will go to this position every time it is cycled through the trim positions. You do not need to remember to reposition the trim to 2 after tilting down.

Take a look at image #1 that bare foot wader posted and you can see the adjustment holes on the bottom of the bracket that clamps to your transom. You need to pull the pin out and move the motor to a different hole then replace the pin. If that doesn't work, try another hole. You may need to try a couple places until you find the one that puts your boat on plane properly.

EDIT TO ADD

I posted before ssminnow and according to his link it appears your motor may be somewhat different to what I'm used to.

Sorry for any confusion

Edited by lew

Okay, I think I'm onto something here I had this knob set at 3 the entire time.

After looking at this diagram it shows the settings for trim with each number. Is it likely this was my problem? I have it set now so I'll have to try but the motor looks the same angle wise at the back of the transom.

Yes 3 would be the highest preset trim position. You want to trim it down to the 2 or 1 position for the preset.

It is worth it to add weight to the bow as well when solo.

Whenever I am solo with the 12 footer I bring a 5gal pail or two and slap on a Gamma lid, fill it with water and/or rocks after you launch.

Job done.

Empty when done fishn'.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?p=10006&cat=2,2260,47776

Cheers,

Mark

I'm surprised that 4 stroke only weighs 85 pounds, they look huge now. That's not the problem.

Is there anyway guys that that motor is tilting up on it's own when accelerating?

I'm confused about the pins, I read here the new Mercury 4 strokes don't have a pin. It has a pre lock system 1,2 or 3 that goes back to the same position set at, tilt it up and it will only go down to the pre set position 1,2 or 3.

It's great to see everyone help here, it's what I really like about OFC, C as in community with a capital C.

Those are your shallow water drive settings. I had an 8 hp Merc I bought in '95 that had the same settings. Once set, all you had to do was press down on the tiller handle when entering shallow water in order to trim the motor further. There were three positions the motor would click into by pressing down.

Btw, I also had a 12 footer and with the gas tank in the front, the boat planed nicely with just me in it.

Edited by big guy

Those are your shallow water drive settings. I had an 8 hp Merc I bought in '95 that had the same settings. Once set, all you had to do was press down on the tiller handle when entering shallow water in order to trim the motor further. There were three positions the motor would click into by pressing down.

Btw, I also had a 12 footer and with the gas tank in the front, the boat planed nicely with just me in it.

Yup,me too.

Edited by davey buoy