The neighbor slept over last night

lew

I went out onto the back deck about 6 this morning just to look around and found a big ole black bear snoozing in the back yard. I keep the camera right by the door so I got a couple pics before he took off. It was overcast and still somewhat dark out and he was about 150 feet away so I really had to enhance the pics to make him visible so the pics aren't too clear.

There's plenty of bears around here and I've had them in the yard several times but this is the 1st time I've ever had one sleep over :lol:

008-3.jpg

007-7.jpg

006-7.jpg

005-9.jpg

Edited by lew

He was big, and fast too, took off like a scared deer once he realized I was there.

People are often surprised at how fast one of those big buggers can move!!!! Just be glad it decided to go the other way. When startled you can never be sure if it is going to be fight or flight. At about 50'/second you always want to hope it's flight!

You see a problem, I see bear steaks on the BBQ! :whistling:

Wheres your BBQ Lew?

He might be smelling it.

Call the MNR hotline. Seriously.

He,ll be on your deck sooner then you know.

X2

Clean to you might be spotless! To him it probably smells like a Buffet!

Even a fool knows you don't get between Big Cliff and a buffet, bears can move faster than I can!

BTW Lew, I have a whole brick of firecrackers here that I would be happy to run over to you if you want to give that a try however, if MNR did decide it was necessary to terminate this bear, I would gladly accept the job of disposing of it and believe me, nothing would go to waste! I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, I don't want to see this bear killed but if they deamed it necessare, the last thing I would want is to see any part of it wasted!. Let me know if you need the firecrackers!

Edited by Big Cliff

BTW Lew, I have a whole brick of firecrackers here that I would be happy to run over to you if you want to give that a try however, if MNR did decide it was necessary to terminate this bear, I would gladly accept the job of disposing of it and believe me, nothing would go to waste! I am not trying to be a smart ass or anything, I don't want to see this bear killed but if they deamed it necessare, the last thing I would want is to see any part of it wasted!. Let me know if you need the firecrackers!

I hear what your saying Cliff. Im sure (I hope) they would tranquilize it and move it out of town. Use some of that money we give them to some good.

Side note.

Whens the BBQ? Bear steaks in brew bath. LOL

Bear steak marinade: 1/4 cup soy sauce, 1/8 cup real Worchester sauce, 2 TBS white vinegar, 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/8 tsp garlic powder. 1" thick steaks marinade for about 1-2 hours at room temp., sear on high 1 -2 minutes per side, BBQ on Med. heat until 135° C internal. (tent and set aside while cooking up the fiddle heads) serve with a side of fiddle heads, oven roasted sweet potato wedges (bullrush roots work well here too, just add a bit of maple sugar for the last 5 minutes of roasting).

Unlike alot of folks, I'm an animal lover and the last thing I want is to see this critter killed, but if things get out of hand it may be necessary.

We're at the end of a dirt road that runs 1 1/2 miles thru the woods and my wife and a couple of other ladies walk 3 miles every day and they all carry air horns. I was never really sure if they'd work or not but when this guy showed up earlier today, my wife blasted the horn and he took off like a scalded cat.

I'm gonna keep and eye on him and hopefully he doesn't get out of control and end up signing his own death warrant.

Thanks for the offer Cliff and if I decide to try the crackers I'll definitely call you.

Lew. 705-928-8899. I don't want to see him killed either! I can have them to you within 90 minutes! The crackers do work BTW. we used them in French River for many years when bears came too close to the house.

wonder if he's the one that aerated your downspout last year?

You've got a great memory LOL.

004-17.jpg

Or it could be this one that was in the tree with her 3 cubs only 200' from my front door 2 years ago.

img002-1-1.jpg

Yep thats a purdy big bear! We ran into one in the golf course yesterday. Hit my drive about 30 yards from her, yikes! She had 4 cubs up in the trees watchin us too. Snapped a few pics from a decent distance. Getting charged once is enough for a lifetime lol 35F5BEDF-F572-47C8-8A57-D0E448848BA8_zps

Edited by manitoubass2