French River or Manitoulin Island

oates

I have some guests coming over from the UK in June with a bunch of kids. I'm leaning towards Manitoulin because of the kids, anyone have any recommendations? We are about 15 people.

Manitoulin is beautiful!

I have stayed here and would recommend them any day. It's a bit of a shallow boat launch for my 19 ProV but was doable. Couldn't keep the Lake trout off the lines if you have down riggers or a calm enough day to anchor and vertical jig.

http://www.manitoulinresort.com/

Also, something neat for the kids would be a visit to the local fish culture station. If you call a couple of weeks ahead, you can probably arrange for a free group tour of one of the 9 Fish Hatcheries in the province located nearby at Bluejay Creek.

Blue Jay Creek FCS 242 Hwy 542, RR#1, Tehkummah, ON. P0P 2C0; Ph: (705) 859-3006

A visit to Farquhars Dairy is also a must for the islands best ice cream :clapping:

I can second the Mantoulin Restort. Stayed there last summer.

It was a rough when I was fishing, and I was in a Yak. But managed a nice Pike. Lots a few more.

And there are lots of cool sights to see on the island.

For the kiddies, I would say the Island.

Yes, I think you guys are right.

I stayed on Manitoulin last year at http://lakeview.manitoulin-island.com/

just me, wife and 2 kids - they loved it.

The lake was a bass lake, it was ok, didn't pick up till the last day but it was like an aquarium when it started hitting. I was thinking to go back to it but the boats were the lowlight, really battered steel boats that stalled a few times out on the lake Kagawong (got it going again lol), also, with bass season closed in mid June, I figured better to go to another lake which has perch and pike etc.

I think Manitoulin resort, the lake there has more variety of fish yea?

ok, cool!

All booked up for mid June at Manitoulin resort!

Lake Manitou looks huge, with bass OOS, hope to target walleye pike, perch (doubt I could get lake trout, got no downrigger).

I suck on lakes, do ok in rivers (just an experience thing).

Should be a blast!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Made it to Manitoulin resort on lake manitou (3AM), hmm....looks like I can fish from shore even. Group of 20 of us - likely taking groups on the boat all day. Nothing to go by just fishing map that I'll pick up in the morning. Any tips appreciated - weather 20 degrees sunny with light winds forecast for Monday, Tuesday thunder boomers so will try to make most of Monday.

Thanks all for the advice, place is clean and nice

• 1 month later...

Wow had a great time in June on lake manitou. Started very slow, just didn't know the lake and inexperienced. So near the end of the trip we went to a spot for perch, jigging worms, and boom, hit a good size walleye maybe 7lb - best I've ever caught. Folks at manitoulin resort first class as mentioned in this post.

Would love to go back in august but that place likely booked out - it's too good not to be. I've emailed many resorts on manitoulin island and the French.

I got a response from mountain view resort - other side of lake manitou? Anyone know them?

Was surprised to hear some many places available on French river so I searched the forum and wow so much negativity and worry, guys saying netting as fished out walleye but bass fishing still good. I just searched because almost every single place on the French I emailed said yes available! For an august booking only 2 weeks from, I was expecting no way it would be available.

So I'm leaning again to manitoulin island - hoping someone knows about mountain view resort and if walleye are available on the west side of the island.

Thanks again for all your help.

Walleye....the tantalizing elusive walleye...I though it would bite off my 8lb line with no leader lol.