2 Weeks of Amazing Steelheading with Italo and Awesome Pics!

I have been out after work in not so ideal times for steelhead on Lake Ontario tribs, but that is when I could get out. As it turns out, it didn't matter, as the fishing was mostly great. I didn't fish opening weekend, or any weekend day for that matter. I made short 3hr trips locally after work. Italo joined me for most of the trips and we had a blast!

Apart from the good steelhead fishing, the scenery and spring coming to life is a big part of why I like this type of fishing so much. I really enjoy the beauty that nature offers, and especially relish it so close to home. Although I enjoy the nature and always have, I don't often post photos of what I hold dear to me. This year I was inspired to take photos of not only the typical grab and grin photos, but nature and what makes tributary fishing special for me. When I was younger, I spent most of my time fishing crowds shoulder to shoulder for numbers of steelhead disregarding the amazing nature around me. For the past 20 years or so, I have come to enjoy fishing a bit less pressured waters with fewer fish and fewer anglers and take in the entire experience. I enjoy this far more than trying to worry about racing guys to the next good hole like when I was younger. I just take my time and fish while enjoying the beauty around me.

We started the season in high stained water, and over the 2 weeks the water slowly dropped while the water visibility increased. The last two trips were low gin clear water and we had the toughest steelheading as a result. We still managed a bunch of steelhead each and had a blast taking unique underwater photos.

Bigger brighter roe bags drifted under floats did the damage in the higher water, and when the water cleared I downsized to 4lb fluorocarbon leaders, size 10 Gammy octopus hooks with a stealthier split shot and smaller float approach. The micro roe bags were tied in peach mesh for the highest success in tougher conditions.

Seelhead are still dropping back, and with the forecasted rain this week, they will migrate back to the lake quickly. I may make one more short trip this week, then switch gears to something else for the long weekend.

Enjoy some of the photos that we took over the last couple weeks. I hope you enjoy viewing them as much as we did taking them!

SpringTribs_01.jpg

SpringTribs_02.jpg

SpringTribs_03.jpg

SpringTribs_04.jpg

SpringTribs_05.jpg

SpringTribs_06.jpg

SpringTribs_07.jpg

SpringTribs_08.jpg

SpringTribs_09.jpg

SpringTribs_10.jpg

SpringTribs_11.jpg

SpringTribs_12.jpg

SpringTribs_13.jpg

SpringTribs_14.jpg

SpringTribs_15.jpg

SpringTribs_16.jpg

SpringTribs_17.jpg

SpringTribs_18.jpg

SpringTribs_19.jpg

SpringTribs_20.jpg

SpringTribs_21.jpg

SpringTribs_22.jpg

SpringTribs_23.jpg

SpringTribs_24.jpg

SpringTribs_25.jpg

SpringTribs_26.jpg

SpringTribs_27.jpg

SpringTribs_30.jpg

SpringTribs_31.jpg

SpringTribs_32.jpg

SpringTribs_33.jpg

SpringTribs_34.jpg

SpringTribs_35.jpg

SpringTribs_36.jpg

SpringTribs_37.jpg

SpringTribs_38.jpg

SpringTribs_39.jpg

SpringTribs_40.jpg

SpringTribs_41.jpg

SpringTribs_42.jpg

SpringTribs_43.jpg

SpringTribs_44.jpg

Good fishing!

Aaron

I like Italo alot with his Canadian Sport Fishing show,BUT,Received a e-mail back from him two days ago saying UFINDFISH app for Blackberry will not be released. :wallbash: .WTH,lol.can't get rid of the phone though .Great split water shots guys as mentioned !looked like fun.

I like Italo alot with his Canadian Sport Fishing show,BUT,Received a e-mail back from him two days ago saying UFINDFISH app for Blackberry will not be released. :wallbash: .WTH,lol.can't get rid of the phone though .Great split water shots guys as mentioned !looked like fun.

What about for Android? Form what I understand most, if not all, Android apps will run on Blackberry phones.

Thanks everyone. We had a blast! I think the rivers are flushing most of the steelhead back to the lake now.

PitViper, Italo seemed to use a different reel every time lol. He used a Shift 5 inch offset handle centrepin, a black RTYPE Centre pin and a Classic drifter all made by Rapala. I like the Classic Drifter and Shift Centrepins. I was using the Shift.

Maverick, I use an Olympus TG2 compact tough camera for all the shots you see in this post except for the smaller photos at the end. Italo took those with his DSLR. I got the camera at Christmas after doing months of research. I am really glad I did so much research, as the camera is amazing and takes great photos above and below the water. And half above and below lol. There are two waterproof lens attachments that can be purchased for it, a zoom lens and wide angle. I got the wide angle. The wide angle lens attachment is best to get a good half above and below shot. The area of the lens is much larger and can be more easily positioned to get a much better half and half shot. I tried without the wide angle lens and didn't get really good shots.

The TG2 was $300. The wide angle attachment was $100. Best $400. I have ever spent on a camera. It also accepts filters. I have a circular polarizing filter for it as well. It takes incredible super macro shots as well. The TG3 is out now. The big difference being the TG2 is 12mp and the TG3 is 16mp. The TG3 also has built in WiFi where the TG2 doesn't have WiFi. I highly recommend the Olympus TG2 or TG3 to anyone looking for the best compact tough waterproof camera. Oh yeah, it takes great full 1080p HD video as well.

FYI in my research I learned that the Nikon was by far the worst tough underwater compact camera. This was evident at all stores having lots in stock and the Olympus was selling out weekly. Bad reviews on performance and water damage from lots of people in reviews. Cannon ranked second last. Surprising as both Nikon and Cannon make great cameras in general. They just don't seem to put much effort into the growing tough waterproof market. The other worthwhile camera to look at is the Pentax, and not surprising it has the exact same fast lens as the Olympus TG2. I didn't research any inexpensive models, just the high end compact tough waterproof cameras.

Davey Buoy, I think you are a minority with a BB! I gave up mine for Android years ago, as did most people I know. I just got the Samsung S5 and love it. Amazing phone. My wife has a new iPhone and loves it as well. The kids always want our phones now though lol. They never wanted my BB with its lack of apps. They killed themselves by not going with an Android platform years ago. They always had good hardware, but a lack of app support made me switch. Have you tried to install the Android UFindfish app on your BB?

I have Navionics on my phone and it rocks. It works better than my sonar charts. Great on the ice. Tony and I take screen shots and send them to each other so we know each others 411 when we split up in search mode. I just lost hundreds of way points switching over to the S5 though, as I forgot to sign up for the cloud storage for Navionics. I will not make that mistake again!

Davey Buoy, I think you are a minority with a BB! I gave up mine for Android years ago, as did most people I know. I just got the Samsung S5 and love it. Amazing phone. My wife has a new iPhone and loves it as well. The kids always want our phones now though lol. They never wanted my BB with its lack of apps. They killed themselves by not going with an Android platform years ago. They always had good hardware, but a lack of app support made me switch. Have you tried to install the Android UFindfish app on your BB?

I have Navionics on my phone and it rocks. It works better than my sonar charts. Great on the ice. Tony and I take screen shots and send them to each other so we know each others 411 when we split up in search mode. I just lost hundreds of way points switching over to the S5 though, as I forgot to sign up for the cloud storage for Navionics. I will not make that mistake again!

Thanks Aaron for the reply.Had the s3,and the iphone 4s.This phone the q5 with the keyboard what a nice phone for me.Could never really get used to texting with the on screen buttons.It's about as fast as you can get and from what I have seen there sure is still a big followig.Your thinking Android may work?,it is Android based.May give it a try.