Bear kills woman - NF

farsider

That's terrible.

I worked for a company which had an employee killed by a grizzly a year prior. We routinely surveyed remote locations on foot and these locations almost always had grizzlies around. You definitely have to be aware when you are in those situations.

Scary stuff, with a late spring this should serve as a reminder to be careful out in the bush. I know i will be keeping my eyes and ears open and so should eveyone else.

My sympathies to the family.

Send all those grumpy starved bears to the cities..... We should have zero issue with the spring bear hunt after that...

G

Reminds me of the incident in Newmarket a few years ago where a black bear was spotted walking through peoples yards.

The same anti hunters who supported the spring bear hunt ban, were now pleading with law enforcement and MNR to get rid of the bear because it was a danger to their pets and children. Aren't these the same people who say bears are cute and cuddly and we should learn to live with them ? IDIOTS !!!

We had a great bear population control system in place. It generated millions $$$ to the economy. The bear population was stable for years.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, KEEP YER BEAK SHUT !

Very unfortunate incident.

Guys, Alberta has had a spring black bear hunt for many years. While spring hunts can definitely help keep the population in check, it definitely does not mean attacks will stop.

It's sad to hear when anyone is killed by a wild animal, but it's to be expected when we invade their territory. It's unfortunate that most Canadians aren't allowed to carry handguns for self defense while in bear country and only a select few are issued ATC's to carry in the wilderness. Sure, you could carry a short pump shotgun with an 8.5" or 12.5" barrel loaded with slugs, but they're still large enough to be annoying when bushwacking.

Apparently Suncor does not allow their workers to carry any bear defense tools such as a firearm, knife, spray, or bangers. Seems rather silly considering they're in the heart of bear country?

there are more details on the alberta forum, former coworker is at that camp as well but he was on days off, he's got some texts, sounds like workers tried their best with what they had available but couldn't save her

most camps don't allow guns, but spray and bangers have been permitted in the camps I was in...if that's their policy, hope there is a lawsuit, gross negligence

We've had a momma bear and 4 cubs wandering around our road all week and were on my front lawn a couple nights ago but so far haven't caused any problems.

Trouble is though we have a bunch of cottages on the road too and when they go back home Sunday evening they leave their garbage at the end of the driveway for pick up Wednesday so the bears all come out and have a field day.

Cottagers then come back the next weekend. see all the mess and scream that somebody should kill all the nuisance bears.

Doesn't matter how many times their told though. they can't see how their the problem and not the bears.

Why don't you leave them an anonymous note Lew. Start it like this:

Hey dumbass.............

Sometimes you can hit folks between the eyes with a snow shovel and still can't get them to pay attention.

A few homes on the road do have those bear proof containers and they work great, I've seen them flipped right over by bears but still didn't come open.

I doubt it.

The bear was likely predatory and would have just messed up some more people.

We had a bear up at Great Bear one year that came into the guide camp and was trying to get into one of the cabins.

It was hosed with a fire extinguisher and it only backed off a few feet. Enough for the guides to bail out and climb onto the roof.

The guides were throwing rocks and pieces of lumber @ the bear and it did nothing.

One guide made it up to the main camp and got Chummy.

He came and shot it.

Problem solved!!! B)

That's a terrible situation for this poor woman. I work in the same area for 2 years now. Nuisance bears have not been an issue at the camps I've stayed at. But, it only takes one! Lews report about the week end cottagers is a valid point. These people need to be educated about wildlife. So the cottage folks return the following week end to find bears hanging around because of the available food source. Now they can't let their children out to play! What are they thinking?