Walleye Season Opening Weekend

superdad

All the plans had been made and on Friday, my Dad and son and I headed for Hay Bay. Dropped off the stuff and drove over to Merland Park to drop off some Uzick Spinners that Kevin carries.

Nice to chat with Jennifer and Kevin and head to purchase gas near Desronto.

We raised the dock as the waves had been pouring over the deck. We delayed launching the boat as the winds were fierce.

Saturday AM, launched the boat at Shermans and went back to Bayview to pick up the fishers and the gear. Headed away at 0900 and made it to Adolphus Reach and had the lines out by 0930.

We trolled up and down past Keiths Shoal with lures high in the water column and lures lower in the WC. Never had a touch - never saw a net on any of the other boats.

We had one mishap with a board coming off and attempting to get it, we cut one of the other lines and the planer board disappeared. What a Bummer!!!!!

One of the nice things that happened on Saturday was my sons' smart phone with CBC built in. We watched the 1st period of the game and then the battery died - that was a NEW experience.

Left Keith Shoal at 1430 and headed for the camp to eat supper and watch the Derby.

We got out to drown some worms at the 'Hump' and there was a nice sunset. Dave got a good shot.

BertandDadsunset-4x6_zps3b7725b3.jpg

No fish to report....

Sunday AM, it was blowing but Ram Island kinda protects the 'Hump', we decided to try the flats at the east end. Trolled from McCabes Bay to Huffmans IS and the winds were picking up. We thought there might some lee out of the winds, but they came from two directions and formed a vortex off the shore with 2 footers. Trolling downwind was too quick.

Suddenly I had a pull and Dave netted a hammerhandle pike - back it went and off we went, back to the dock.

Back on shore we had a toast to the season and called it a weekend.

DadBertandDavecheerscloseup-4x6_zps7131b

Took the boat out, packed up and headed for Kingston.

The water temps - Adolphus Reach - 49 degs F - Hay Bay 51.4 degs F.

That's really chilly.

Stay Tuned

David aka Superdad

Great report. We fished out of Pickeral Park and saw a few fish coming into the dock but no where near the normal numbers. One walleye for our boat, and a small perch but that was it. Sunday we decided to not even launch the boat, so good on you as the two footers and winds from several directions kept us ashore... It looks like you had an amazing weekend.

Cheers,

Jen