NF - Barred Owl Vocalizing to Mate - Video - Ottawa

Hello All,

Spent the afternoon with the barred owl family today. Definitely lucked out, as I was able to capture on film the female vocalize a number of times to her mate - who was roosting some 200 yards away. It was my hope to capture this on film so I am pretty excited!

(watch in 1080p HD for best quality)

Thanks for watching...

Cheers,

Justin

The video is cool but I just cant seem to figure out why the leaves on the trees are green or red it looks like fall.?

Not spring.

If the leaves are not out in southern Ontario I find it hard to believe they would be out I the Ottawa area?

Not sure what to make of this?

Edited by saltydawg

Saltydog - I assure you this video was taken two days ago in Ottawa. The 'red' colour you are seeing are the buds on the trees just beginning to open. Not certain what type of tree they are, but, 100% they are blossoming buds. As for the green colour in the background - those are pine needles, not leaves. Hope that puts your questioning to rest ;) I certainly have nothing to gain by misinterpreting the date.

Here is an image shot the same day showing the 'buds' to give you a better idea:

BarredOwlNew1_zpsad95d65c.jpg

Cheers,

Justin

Edited by JustinHoffman

Hey Brian...

I actually lucked in to this pair while out shed hunting one of my favourite spots. Heard a single 'hoot' while hiking, that was very close by. Ten minutes of searching and found the one owl high up in a tree. An hour or two later I noticed a second. It wasn't until the next day that I watched the female go to her nest site, which, if you didn't see her fly to, you'd have no idea it was a nest. Broken off and hollow tree stump, about 15 foot high.
This is the same area I do most of my buck photography in the fall. On a few of those outings I have spooked an owl in this same spot. I now realize this is there home territory and they have probably been here for years.

Next few weeks should be fun!!

Cheers,

Justin

had a couple of those keep me awake all night last year during a camping trip...was a real racket as they called back and forth...one 5 feet from my left ear and one 5 feet from my right ear...or so it seemed. Much more enjoyable watching your video than hearing it live from midnight to 5 am