Open Water Watch

jedimaster

Just got a report from the Parry Sound area and the ice is melting fast and with all this rain

coming this week expect open water on inland lakes by this weekend !

Sounds looks open. Time to break out the planner boards and go wash some body baits :)

Bill, what's your best source of satellite images?

You can try this one - https://earthdata.nasa.gov/labs/worldview/?switch=geographic&products=baselayers,!MODIS_Aqua_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor,MODIS_Terra_CorrectedReflectance_TrueColor~overlays,sedac_bound&time=2014-04-19&map=-82.889404,44.088867,-78.670654,46.116943

It's a little more user friendly and loads alot faster.

Edited by Chuck Enwinde

Apparently the elders on Bear Island, Lake Temagami, are getting worried it will be at least the 18th of May before they can boat to the landing... and the last week of May before the lake is ice free. Average of 20" of ice still on the lake, with areas as thick as 40.

Apparently the elders on Bear Island, Lake Temagami, are getting worried it will be at least the 18th of May before they can boat to the landing... and the last week of May before the lake is ice free. Average of 20" of ice still on the lake, with areas as thick as 40.

I hope not, that would put the kaibosh on the long weekend. That still seems like a lot of ice though. Gonna be touch and go from here on out I guess. Hopefully the rain this week will speed things up a bit.

Had a guy out here watersking last Sunday (either that or they were using the biggest muskie bait I have ever seen and going way too fast).

Water is still really cold but no ice in sight.

It's one thing to hit a half sunken hut, or deadhead, in a boat. It is something all together different to hit them on skis.

Edited by kickingfrog

Midland Harbour and the immediate Sound appear open... but the launch ramp and Pete Peterson park shore is loaded with ice out past the entrance to to Bay Port where they have started putting in boats finally. About 2 weeks behind schedule.

Edited by irishfield

Things really opened up this week with all the wind and rain. I went for a scoot down some logging roads behind my place and the snow is about 80% gone and the pot lakes are wide open.

This trail would have had 2 feet snow not long ago...ice out trout happening this weekend!

Posted Image