Open Water Watch

jedimaster

Here is the front yard, Lake Nipissing by the mouth of the Sturgeon River. Starting to break up. The mouth of the river is open and you can hear the ice moving. Had some good wind today and rain in the forecast for the next two days.

20140425_112410_zpsaow6qmm7.jpg

Was up in Minden yesterday Head lake had lots of open water but still some ice. There is still some snow in the bush but most of that is gone now. Miners Bay still had a fair bit of ice but I think that was mostly from the wind.

Here's the only "open water" in front of my dock, as of yesterday! What was our ice road is now a long swimming pool.. allowing folks to see how their sleds run on open water, just so they know if they ever get into trouble. Great opportunity ...with a built in 25" ice security blanket underneath!!

The channel at the Delawana was opening way back the last time I went flying.. so yah it could very well be open all through there in the current from the Squash..

That's the general direction I was planing on heading for opener.

Edited by BillM

Ice hasn't even pulled away from shore or the boat ramp at Temagami Marine as of today. My neighbour was sledding down the lake as of last night..... that said, it will be gone by the 17th. Probably a few bergs floating around.. but it will be gone.

Ice hasn't even pulled away from shore or the boat ramp at Temagami Marine as of today. My neighbour was sledding down the lake as of last night..... that said, it will be gone by the 17th. Probably a few bergs floating around.. but it will be gone.

My aunt lives on Bear Island, we spoke with her today, she said much of the same, still lots of ice but will be gone by the long weekend. My fingers are crossed to say the least.