River intersections? Legal opinions.

Looking for answers on where one waterway becomes another, I googled a lil but not sure even how to input such a search. I'm hoping the knowledgeable members here could add there input.

1. Note the Blue River it is a fish sanctuary from jan to may.

2. The Red Creek, Brown Brook and Green river are open but flow into said sanctuary.

Question, can one fish any of these waterways and at what point could a line be drawn as to where the sanctuary would start?

RiverMeet.jpgRiverMeet.jpg

You better call the local CO before getting nailed for fishing a sanctuary :) I would guess that once the river ends and opens up into the 'mouth' you're technically fishing the main river and not the trib anymore.

Like the others said, Red Creek would most likely be along the imaginary continuing line on the right (west) side of Blue River. the other two cold be the same or may go upstream to where the shown pools end.

Further check in the regs states if it's not listed, check with your local MNR office.

Edited by Fisherman

In my limited experience boundaries are where one C/O says there are on any given day... I would be very interested to see what 3 independently contacted MNR officials say about this situation. The reason is I have been fishing a WELL known river and been told 2 different starting areas for the a sanctuary by 2 C\O's in the same week LOL. The difference was only about 10yds but the second C\O was letting people fish where the first one claimed it would have been a fine?

Rivers that are closed from Jan-May in Ontario are generally closed to protect spawning rainbow trout. I've never heard of any scenario where smaller trib's of bigger rivers were open to angling.

I'd be curious to know what species of fish you plan on targetting in these smaller rivers.

The Mnr has fine detail maps available that hilight the borders or different zones, I'm not sure if it will

Assist you specifically, but it might help clear up some confusion

you have a link?

I guess this isn't an easy black and white one is it?

To save myself any trouble i'll wait til may lol

In FMZ 17 the Otonabee River is a sanctuary from Lock 19 in Peterborough to Bensfort Bridge until the 3rd Saturday in May. There are several tributaries along that stretch of river that are open to angling all year for panfish and coarse fish, as well as game fish when their respective seasons open. Having said that, I have no idea how close to the main river you could get before the law deems you too close, especially at this time of year when the mouths are flooded.

In FMZ 17 the Otonabee River is a sanctuary from Lock 19 in Peterborough to Bensfort Bridge until the 3rd Saturday in May. There are several tributaries along that stretch of river that are open to angling all year for panfish and coarse fish, as well as game fish when their respective seasons open. Having said that, I have no idea how close to the main river you could get before the law deems you too close, especially at this time of year when the mouths are flooded.

I'm not implying anything, but most times when a scenario like this is encountered it's an angler looking for a loophole in the reg's.

Thats pretty clear if you ask me. Otonabee river between lock 19 and bensfort bridge. The intent of the regulation is to protect spawning walleye....right?

The intent of a river being a sanctuary is to protect spawning fish, no? So, with that said, if only the main river is mentioned in the regs, that would lead ME to believe the whole watershed is a sanctuary to protect whatever fish are spawning. If those fish can run the tributaries, they would (read should) be closed to fishing as well.

IN MY OPINION :)

S.

Actually some of these tributaries become trout streams not too far away from the Otonabee, and since trout season opens nearly a month before the sanctuary ends closing the entire watershed would make as much sense as closing an entire lake because the season for one species is closed. I think that in this case there are factors such as lack of access and very marshy conditions near the main river that have kept this from becoming a problem.

Thats my point. The otonabee is clearly ONLY a sanctuary from LOCK 19 to BENSFORT BRIDGE.

Pretty clear, right?

IF it said Otonabee River closed from Feb-april that would be a different story.

The rest of the grey areas are grey for a reason.

Understand what I'm saying?

S.

I'm not implying anything, but most times when a scenario like this is encountered it's an angler looking for a loophole in the reg's.

Looking for clarification not loop holes lol

If it was legal...there would already be a hundred people fishing it

That's why I was using hypothetical watersheds....Now that cats outa the bag there will be a bunch in there like dirty shirts.

Edited by 206

you have a link?

I guess this isn't an easy black and white one is it?

To save myself any trouble i'll wait til may lol

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/LetsFish/2ColumnSubPage/198481.html

The detail maps are here, they show what shorelines and where the exact borders to the different fmz's are. Hope this helps a little at least