Is the catfish run on yet? (Dunville)

hotsky

I would like to do some fishing for cats next weekend in Dunville if the weather is nice. Tried a local spot today and didn't get anything. Has anyone tried this year?

Edited by Gray_Wolf

Until the water hits about 40 degrees, the best bet is freshly dead minnows on a jighead. Only caught some bullheads so far out that way myself.. but channels have been caught there already this year.

I never was too precise on the temps HTHM.. you may be dead on. For me it's when all the fringe ice and snow is completely gone and the currents have slowed down that it's time to run the cut baits. Ps thanks for the props! Lol

dead bait with lots of patients. We are at 50 degrees F right now and the bite is slow with muddy water and semi swift flow. Most fish caught on the dark flats or wind blown area. Back swirl areas should also be looked at as the fish kill from sever temperatures will pile up food for them to eat.

Art

dead bait with lots of patients. We are at 50 degrees F right now and the bite is slow with muddy water and semi swift flow. Most fish caught on the dark flats or wind blown area. Back swirl areas should also be looked at as the fish kill from sever temperatures will pile up food for them to eat.

Art

The situation's a little different here Art. Your fish are residents. Ours are migrating from Lake Erie for a couple months, never to be seen again. Along with their migration comes a massive migration of emerald shiners which stay put til the water hits about 43 (thnx HTHM). The key areas right now are simply slack water. The river's been raging since March.

If you go bring lots of weight - the river is flowing faster than I have ever seen it - I was using two 3oz weights on Friday night and still getting pulled downstream in a hurry. Lots of debris being pulled along the bottom as well - weeds, sticks, leaves - covers your weight and cutbait pretty quick.

The situation's a little different here Art. Your fish are residents. Ours are migrating from Lake Erie for a couple months, never to be seen again.

Rich, lived in Port Rowan for a few years back in the early 70's, A few guys , me included , would fish channels all summer right up to duck season surf casting lake side off Hasting's Ave, best spot was where the old creek channel comes close to the lake. Wade a few yards out to the first bar and cast, come back to shore and set up in a rod holder and wait, some evening the action was very good. Can't see that they are still not there.