Electric motor battery charging question

I'm doing some rebuilding on the boat and was considering removing the plug for my Terrova, only concern is even though I commonly leave it plugged in while charging the batteries, I've heard you shouldn't...Obviously it won't be possible if I hard wire the thing...Opinions?

I am replacing my Motorguide Brute with a new Terrova as well,, and I will be looking at hooking up a plug similar to what I had. I always unplugged the Motorguide when not in use, or at the end of the fishing day, so it was always unplugged for charging. More of a safety thing I think- never any fear of motor accidentally turning on perhaps.

I am using a removable mount so I can remove the Terrova entirely, so a plug makes sense for a couple of reasons.

I try and follo manufacturer specifications so when I replaced my MG with a terrova, I upgraded the wiring (8 to 6) and the plug. I have always unplugged the terrova when charging just in case something goes wrong. This way I don't have to worry about frying the head of the motor.

I commonly leave it plugged in while charging the batteries, I've heard you shouldn't...Obviously it won't be possible if I hard wire the thing...Opinions?

My last boat had a cover that went completely over the bow including the troll motor.

I covered it one day but accidentally hit the constant on button without knowing it. I charged the battery then went home for a week then I uncovered it a week later to find the cover had stopped the prop from turning and I burned out the motor. Price to fix it was gonna be darned near the price of a new motor so I bought a new one.

Expensive lesson but ever since then I always unplug the troll motor before charging.

Edited by lew

Replace the plug with a twist lock plug and you will not have any issues with connection issues. A switch if used needs to be rated for the amp draw and wire size of the motor so it will be expensive for the correct one. Unplugged as Lew pointed out saves a motor from burning out either from a surge in the charger or a forgotten switch.

Art

I was having some work done on my boat and the service tech. recommended i unplug it when not in use. I asked why. He stated its a safety precaution in case the foot pedal is somehow activated and the prop spins. if the prop is jammed up he said it could burnout the motor.

Edited by dracokaos

Replace the plug with a twist lock plug and you will not have any issues with connection issues. A switch if used needs to be rated for the amp draw and wire size of the motor so it will be expensive for the correct one. Unplugged as Lew pointed out saves a motor from burning out either from a surge in the charger or a forgotten switch.

Art

Yep!!!

Got rid of the old style 3 prong push in plug and replaced it with a Marinco twist lock.

It remains unplugged when not in use in order to keep accidental activation.

My boat cover also covers my TM.

I bought the minnkota plug and receptacle when I installed my terrova because I wanted to make sure everything was Minnkota and to their spec. I take the plug out of the package and what do you know, the plug says marinco on it! The only dofference is that the minnkota plug is a little narrower. It still locks and everyhing

When she starts to smoke.. and you can't unplug it, I hope the cutters are close by!

I had cutters in the boat when my motor burnt up Wayne, only problem was I wasn't in the boat with them. :lol:

Just to make things even smokier here the electronic wireless motors can be controlled by other signals besides your own pad. Have you been on the water and the motor tries to turn without you pushing the pad or changes speed? yup that is an erratic signal. Hows about finding out your key pad turns on another boats motor at the boat ramp ?

Art

Yep!!!

Got rid of the old style 3 prong push in plug and replaced it with a Marinco twist lock.

Dave, got a part # for the twist lock? I curse at the Minn Kota plug every single time I use it, especially when I'm in a rush.

Dave, got a part # for the twist lock? I curse at the Minn Kota plug every single time I use it, especially when I'm in a rush.

This is the one I bought Bill.

http://www.basspro.com/Marinco-ConnectPro-Plug/Receptacle-Kit-for-Trolling-Motors/product/23099/

If you need heavier duty you will need to spring for this additional connector that goes on the back of the recepticle.

It enables the use of 6 gauge cable. You can only use up to 8 with the base kit.

http://www.basspro.com/Marinco-6-Gauge-Wire-Receptacle-Adapter/product/45191/?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

I'm using this on my 80# Powerdrive and it's way better than the stock one that came with the boat.

I see that the Minn Kota one is very similar. Could actually be the same one. :dunno:

If you want to spend the $$$ this Marinco is probably the best available.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Boating/Electric-Trolling-Motors/Electric-Trolling-Motor-Accessories%7C/pc/104794380/c/104716980/sc/104312880/Marinco-Trolling-Motor-Plugs/699979.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Felectric-trolling-motor-accessories%2F_%2FN-1100550%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104312880%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104794380%253Bcat104716980&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104794380%3Bcat104716980%3Bcat104312880

Edited by DRIFTER_016