Dollar store finds, and tips for frugal fishing

chefboi17

I figure we can use a thread like this, feel free to share your finds. I know every time I go shopping I look for items I can use or manipulate to to my fishing need, and I know I'm not the only one.

Things like finding soup skimmers in the kitchen area or the local dollar store to use as ice skimmers, or this little find for tying roe bags I found in the wedding decoration area lol.

This netting is less than half the price as the commercial brand, with more than double the material. Sure I'm still stuck buying the expensive stuff if I want the colors, but for white, I'm happy

image.jpg

I'm curious what you guys have found, or came up with to save some cash.

I also use 1/2" metal screws on the bottom of my wading boots as studs. They are much cheaper than the ones from Simms and if they get worn out or lost, they are easy to replace.

Yup, I do this as well, works awesome.

Also the clear containers they sell at the dollar store are great for bags! Has a rubber o-ring to seal as well.. no gross roe juice all over the place if they flip over.

Knightfisher, I picked up a few dollar store stick baits and when trolled slowly then just don't run true.

I have experienced that with a few as well. Sometimes you can tweek them. Others I

have work good. More times than not I'm casting them to the shore lines, trolling when

I'm eating or need a break.

Looking at the musky on your link, there would only be one or two baits from the dollar store I would use, and probably not for long. Different arsenal for those nice looking gals.

Edited by knightfisher

I was at Dollarama few days ago and was surprise to witness many fishing items went up to $2. Swimbaits are over price for $1 a piece. Most plastic lures are way too light due to inferior material used, few larger crank bait in 5-6" are still fine so better grab them, old stock lures are still at $1 ,until they get sold out with new sticker showing $2. Hooks need to be re-harpened,... very dull. Some stores carry the floating frog which is fine but not available in most stores.

Some larger spinners can spin fine or miss. There are other fishing on line site that provides better quality, price and assortment. For other items not fishing related, DOLLAR TREE at $1.25 has better pricing, but they do not have lures except ,some cheap fishing line.