transom repair anyone here

skinny

so got a little time on Thursday to work on the boat I got the first layer off. really surprised at how the factory did this. I took my skill saw and set blade depth just shallow of first layer and cut grooves all over with thought I was going to be taking it out in small chunks. well I got in between the layers with pry bar and th layer started to pop and separate. I got my hands in and pulled and removed it in almost full piece.

turns out they glued it and stapled it. the next layer isn't even a complete one piece it has a bunch of pieces cut to fit tight to each other . will have to be careful now as if i pry i can see the outer fibreglass move a little

ok last layer this is the one bonded to the glass

going to need to be careful and looks like most will be hammer and chisel going to try and cut line tru with skill saw but not sure its going to work as my saw is bulky so alot of the area wont get relief cuts

any suggestions its 1/2 plywood then glass

ok last layer this is the one bonded to the glass

going to need to be careful and looks like most will be hammer and chisel going to try and cut line tru with skill saw but not sure its going to work as my saw is bulky so alot of the area wont get relief cuts

any suggestions its 1/2 plywood then glass

Sounds like a good reason to add to the tool count!!! :whistling:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/rockwell-versacut-4a-3-3-8-in-mini-circular-saw-0548361p.html#.U0BxsvldUn4

well i'm to grinding most of transom but I have found some loose glass and not sure what to do there

also the piece of wood that was glued to fibreglass also extended down past what I want to call 2 bunks

I'm hoping to dig the wood out of this slot then build a couple of pieces to fill in that area to the top of the bunks then have transom sit on these

does that make sense rather than tear up the bunks (stringer to side of boat and I think contain foam

You got to keep going till you get to dry solid wood. The rotted stringer/wood are what let the glass flex and water in. The water wicks up into the new wood and you are back to square one again. I had to go deeper than I wanted restoring a 1985 Ranger but the end result was worth it.

Art