Your thoughts on DND giving police forces military fighting vehicles

Naivete don't work no more boys and girls. In case no one has noticed the relative breakdown of societies all over the globe along with the growing disregard for one another, it is real.

As the worlds polulation grows and resources are strained to sustain those growing populations it seems our destiny is already mapped out. It is an inevitability.

Keep family and friends close and enjoy life for what it is.

In a perfect world we won't need police or armies BUT our world is full of people who want to take advantage of others through force,I have no problem with the police having the equipment to deal with these trouble makers.

vance

In a perfect world we won't need police or armies BUT our world is full of people who want to take advantage of others through force,I have no problem with the police having the equipment to deal with these trouble makers.

vance

Don't buy the "Were gonna protect you from the Bad Guy" angle. It is all about power and control. Too many sheep are finding holes in the fences. They're afraid to lose it and they should be.

Tic, Toc, Tic, Toc............

I have no problem with an armoured vehicle for the force, i dont see the issue with police being properly equipped for whatever may arise. Im sure some people dont like that they have a helicopter either but its a necessary tool for the job.

how often do we have riots???? Buy military gear for the odd chance a canadian hockey team loses the Stanley cup playoffs? Frig. We might have protests, but thats the right of the people

Riots are not a frequent occurrence in Canada, thankfully. There have been 7 hockey riots, by the way. However, when they occur, they get nasty quickly. Toronto has quite a history in this regard. Most recently the G20 in 2010 and the Yonge st. riot of 1992. Most famous was the Christie Pits riot in 1933. Personally, I think the best way to deal with a rioting mob is the old fashioned approach. Call out the militia, read the riot act, "God Save the Queen", and after 30 minutes, if you don't disperse, all's fair game. A riot is a violent event, and needs to be stopped with whatever force necessary to subdue and stop the event.

Riots are not a frequent occurrence in Canada, thankfully. There have been 7 hockey riots, by the way. However, when they occur, they get nasty quickly. Toronto has quite a history in this regard. Most recently the G20 in 2010 and the Yonge st. riot of 1992. Most famous was the Christie Pits riot in 1933. Personally, I think the best way to deal with a rioting mob is the old fashioned approach. Call out the militia, read the riot act, "God Save the Queen", and after 30 minutes, if you don't disperse, all's fair game. A riot is a violent event, and needs to be stopped with whatever force necessary to subdue and stop the event.

thats a very well thought out response that I can appreciate:) but times are changing bigugli, and in many ways not for the better. With things going awry withing the world and such, especially with "rights" being stripped from good old fashion contributing citizens, people are concerned. If you watch mainstream media, its scares people to think one day soon we might live in a "police state". We don't see it so much in canada, but look at whats happening in other countries. Can you blame people for fearing military equipment in their own communities??? Now that hasn't happened here and maybe it wont? Who knows? But I will agree that if this type of equipment is used properly, i have no issue with it. I dont wanna see police harmed either(as someone else mentioned). Now one thing that bothers me is peacefull protest vs riot. One is a right, the other is a criminal act. But a peacefull protest can tut into a riot quickly, and can be done on purpose(just think of a month or so ago in Crimea). All it takes is a shot fired from an unknown source and you have changed the event dramatically.

My opinion the first line of defence is the police and this is a good and fiscally responsible choice for the equipment

When the military needs to be called in is when the situation is bad

Im all for it GOOD ON DND

Cheers

Peter

Edited by BITEME.Esq

I've been around this big ole country for a very long time and never once have I EVER had a problem with our police so I'm not too concerned if they pick up some new equipment if they think it's needed.

I guess you're not in the firearms community? There are quite a few cases where legal firearms owners have received the good ole "guilty until proven innocent" treatment which results in a lengthy and expensive court process.

How about the RCMP entering homes during the Alberta flood and confiscating legal firearms?

Does the police brutality at the G20 summit ring a bell?

EDIT: Oops, let's not forget the RCMP changing the status of a couple firearms, simply because they felt like it, which in turn has resulted in many Canadians being in possession of $15,000,000 worth of firearms that are now only useful as paper weights.

I'm not against police, but the general opinion on this thread is that police in Canada are saints and that is false. While these vehicles may cost taxpayers a pretty penny one way or another, I think each major city should have an armored vehicle to deal with dangerous situations as waiting for one to be called in from a neighboring city could definitely result in lives being lost.

Edited by ch312

All in all, its just another tool. Police don't drive Prius's on the beat do they ? Armoured vehicules for times when needed are not a problem in my opinion, neither are Dodge Chargers and Ford Interceptors. Most Cops are good Cops. I have never rec'd a speeding ticket that I didn't deserve :angel:

An armoured vehicle just may be enough to convince poachers th change their ways! Can you imagine a poacher seeing an armed armour vehicle heading right for them?

Every movie I've seen where the good guys have one of these, well, it does'nt turn out well for the guys in the vehicle!

And as we all know, movies are real!!!! LOL

HH

My brother served time in Afghanistan and on departure, hundreds of vehicles were left by the DND as it was cheaper to leave them behind for other forces or just for scrap. I would much rather see these vehicles utilized by Canadian Citizens as they are already paid for and may come in handy one day. What's the big deal if police have access to equipment that not only protects themselves but may protect the public also. It's not like the police will be firing off missiles but honestly if I was in their situation, would I rather be hiding behind a car door or a thick armour plated wall??? Someone said they are intimidating....that's the point!