Raccoon repellant

captpierre

Hey Guys.

Time to put the bird feeder up again at the cottage.

Don't have a squirrel problem but every once and a while a coon will trash the feeder

It hangs off a cedar tree from an L bracket.

Any ideas on how to keep them away?

Was going to pay the dog to piss on the tree regularly <_<

I once had a raccoon infestation under the tarp in a winter stored boat. An old timer told me they don't like the smell or taste of moth balls, 2 boxes of moth balls solved the problem. I always spread moth balls around in my boat for the winter, no mice or other critters and the smell airs out quickly.

Seanik

x2 on the moth balls....I always put them in the boat when I store it for the winter. Had a mother and 4 babies get in one year, what a mess. Four gallons of bleach later, finally aired out after power washing it a bunch of times.

Fox-p hunting cover scent. Tinks makes it and works great on coons, skunks, rabbits, etc from what i've heard.

X2. I have a big veggie garden. Coons and squirrels used to eat a big chunk of my sweet corn. Read an article in Organic Gardening magazine years ago that suggested putting a few drops of fox urine on the tassels of the corn just before it got ripe. I was skeptical but I gave it a try and I can assure you it is 100% effective. I haven't grown corn for awhile so I no longer use this stuff. But a small 2OZ bottle used to last me 2-3 seasons. A little goes a long way.

Edit: The article suggested that you do this before the critter's got a taste of your corn. The reasoning being once they got a taste the deterrent would not be as effective. You might wanna apply the same principal to your needs if your going to give it an honest try.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

In most pet stores you can buy a can of spray it' works ok it's for stray cats and skunks & stuff !!! It works but buy bulk cayene. Pepper and sprinkle all over they hate the smell and will avoid it !!! But yes we shoot them as well !!! We live in the country along sturgeon lake and they cause lots of problems around here !!!! Citiots leave garbage and crap lying around and return home to the city and attract even more !!! A local farmer I see all the time shot 22 of them last year !!! They are filthy dirty disease and poop out parasites that can easily infect your dog so be care full .... Shoot as many as you can

in city limits, pellet gun, or catch em alive trap

Im all for whackin coons, but dont shoot them with a pellet gun. If your going to kill them, kill them. Dont make them suffer a long slow death.

Around here I use a live trap and I always have a full barrel of water under the downspout.

To keep them off your bird feeder, hang it from a rope far enough off the ground that a coon cant reach it, and far enough down from the branches that they're afraid to jump to it. If its just on an L bracket attached to the tree, thats an open invite to a raccoon.

S.

The only real way to keep raccoons out of the bird feeder permanently is to mount the feeder on a sturdy pole with a proper racoon baffle on it. They're not cheap, but they are about the only thing that works. Here's a link to the one we use.

Shoot the raccoon or trap it, and another one will just move in and take its place in a few days, a few weeks at the latest. Mothballs, pee scents etc may work okay in a boat over the winter, but they simply won't keep raccoons away from a food source like trash or a bird feeder. Beyond that, any scent you put down disappears after the first rain so you'll go broke by the end of the summer continually reapplying the stuff.

Just buy the raccoon baffle, put the feeder on a sturdy pole that's clear of overhanging branches, and you'll never have a problem again. Simple as that.

Edited by Craig_Ritchie

The only real way to keep raccoons out of the bird feeder permanently is to mount the feeder on a sturdy pole with a proper racoon baffle on it. They're not cheap, but they are about the only thing that works.

That's basically what I use too Craig and they do a great job of keeping the unwanted critters away from the feeder.

I bought mine from CTC and if I remember correctly, it was around $25

003-9.jpg

Pellet gun, no problem. Head shot will kill em all the time.

Rich.

What kind of pellet gun you shooting?? I call Bull, Unless its a high power .22 cal. over 1000fps and your real close.......then your into PAL requirements, so you may as well have a real rifle.

Shooting coons with a pellet gun in city limits can get you into a real pile of trouble too.

S.

Yea I agree with Craig, the best defense is to stop them from getting at the feeder.

Down at our trailer park we're over run with coons and that's what works the best for us. It even gets for good entertainment; ever watch a coon trying to climb a greased steel pole or try and get around one of those cones? Plus the coons have taught the campers to keep their sites clean of garbage and food scraps.

I have trapped, relocated and made them disappear in the past; it's only a short term fix, because there will be another one as soon as it spies the food.

I stopped trapping them at the park because of a very close call with the MNR and the warning about the charges they could lay. A tree huger at the park called the tips line on me; but it was a good lesson learned.

You're not allowed to euthanize a trapped animal, unless you have a trapper's license.

You're not allowed to relocate an animal any more than one kilometer from where they were trapped. What's the sense of that; the coon will likely be back waiting for you on your porch. LOL

So now when I have too trap a pest that won't give up; I call a licensed trapper to come and collect it. If the coon has a good pelt the guy will even give me a few buck for it.

Dan.