Towing with my Caravan

Rizzo

So the truck broke down and I am left with a 2013 Dodge Caravan to tow with, just have to get the hitch put on. I will be towing a 16.5 foot Alumacraft - full windshield - 90 hp yamaha. My guess is the weight would be close to 2000 lbs maybe a bit more? Do i need to get the "tow package" installed (transmission cooler?) or will I be ok just to do the hitch? Anyone have experience or opinions? For the most part I will be towing a level drive...from Kitchener to Windsor area.

I run a 16ft Crestliner s/c(860lbs dry weight) with trailer(500lbs), 50hp 2 str 200lbs),gas(17 Gal=105lbs), oil(6lbs), and all other accessories I estimated a generous 2000lbs so yours is probably at least that. Tranny cooler for sure. Used to tow with an older Caravan(3L Mitsu) years ago. Lots of miles, never overheated but tore up 2 gear boxes.

Total load capacity for the Freestar was 3700lbs and a tranny cooler was recommended. Caravan's max load capacity is about 600 lbs lower.

Load capacity also includes passengers and gear in addition to the towed trailer. At least that was how it was explained by a mechanic before I bought the cooling package

Fix the truck.

True enough but sometimes it just isn't worth it though.The Sierra dropped both transfer case and tranny within a month last summer and with almost 300,000k it was time to cut my losses before anything else blew up. Good luck Rizz.

I tow my 1998 3.3L caravan with my 16ft fiberglass boat. It had a transmission cooler. The transmission just broke last year in februay 2013, luckily, I was not towing my boat on a long distance drive. It cost me $1200 to get it rebuilt, not too bad, had 275, 000Km on it when the transmission and front axle broke the same day.

I am also very careful when I shift, always on full stop before shifting to another gear. I also try not to park up or downhill and let the transmission do the vehicle parking.

My brother towed with his Caravan. Nothing heavy and not any long distances. He got 4-5 years out of it before he threw in the towel. Said he never buy another one ever.

So be bought an Envoy and it's been a total disaster too. He just can't win.

Edited by crappieperchhunter

My brother towed with his Caravan. Nothing heavy and not any long distances. He got 4-5 years out of it before he threw in the towel. Said he never buy another one ever.

So be bought an Envoy and it's been a total disaster too. He just can't win.

Man both bad for transitions in my experience.

Rizzo you know what your towing capacity for the Caravan is, you need to determine the weight of the boat and all. Tow it to a scrap yard, unhook it and get it weighed. Guessing is over. A important thing to consider is tongue weight. If the ball and receiver isn't properly aligned it throws everything off and numbers get tossed out the window. My next door neighbour had the improper drop on his hitch, once that was corrected he said he can't even tell his boat and trailer is behind him on one of those imitation 2 WD Ford SUV's.

I got to go with the wisdom of Bernie here. He has seen a lot of vehicles and the caravan just is not a good tow vehicle. If it is disposable then have a go and tow with it but don't be surprised when it lunches itself. If it is in pretty decent condition and it can live as your people hauling vehicle it might be best not to ruin it. It is not all about temperature and the life of a transmission. You have other factors such as gear ratio, fluid volume, internal materials, brakes, electrical and suspension in no particular order. These can I tow with this vehicle posts kill me because everyone wants to bring a knife to a gun fight. If you have a doubt about it chances are it is your inner brain telling you it is not a good idea. It is not that I mind people making a choice to abuse there vehicles and even blow them up it is the safety factor that other people around you depend on that you are driving a safe vehicle that can start and stop in a timely manner. I rarely see vehicles down here not matched to the job because you will get a ticket and if it is grossly mismatched they will impound the trailer on the spot. I am sure it has to do with gas being $3.45 a gallon versus $4.00 plus up North but at some point the phrase "you got to pay to play" should come to mind.

Sorry if this sounds like it is pointed at you Rizzo it isn't. It is for all of the people who I see in my trips up North not matching the vehicle to the job.

Art

For the number of times you're going to tow; rent a truck or a full sized van. I just went to the U-Hall web site and got an estimate for a 7 day rental and 500klm for a cargo van and it came to $299.00.

I also think there are cheaper places you could rent from? There use to be a place here in London called Ugly Duckling Rentals. They were older vehicles but were reasonably maintained with things like AC not working or some bents here and there.

Yea it'll cost you a few hundred bucks; but so will the trans cooler, a load leveling hitch to distribute the tongue weight and the possibility of blowing out a 3 grand transmission.

One other thing to think about, regardless of whether the caravan can pull the boat; can it stop it in a panic situation?

Dan.

Apluma, Sir where can I get gas for $4.00 a gallons here? I'm willing to pay $5.00 USD. $1.34 a Lt yesterday. Fill every container you have before showing your passport this year.

You're bang on, towing down the road in a fairly strait line is one thing, stopping for an emergency on baby brakes on a mini van is a totally different scenario.

Edited by Old Ironmaker