Chest Waders

oates

I don't think there is a set of waders that last. If you use them a lot, they wear out.

I've stopped buying good waders because there's no sense spending big money on waders when cheapies last just as long.

I wear waders for duck hunting, not fishing, so this is just my opinion based on my experience. I am very hard on them. Most "fishing" waders I would tear apart in a season....sometimes the first day.

S.

I have been wearing simms freestone waders for the last 2 years - they have held up great with moderate use. No pinhole leaks or seam damage at all. They retail around $250 but with some patience and careful bargain hunting can be found for $150-$200. IMHO it will be hard to find a solid pair of waders for less than $200 - better to wait for a sale or see if you can find some lightly used / new on forums/kijiji etc.

I've had simms waders and they wear just like every other brand i've owned. I agree with Sinker, any pair of waders will leak. How you treat them is far more important than what brand they are. Make sure you hang them to dry when you're done, don't just pack them up.

What I do is find a pair that fits good. Make sure you've got a bit of extra room for moving around, too tight and you'll leak on the seams eventually. Too loose and it's easier to snag on stuff as you walk by.

If I get 2 years out of waders I'm happy with that.

I have owned and worn all kinds of waders. Simms, Redington, Bare, Orvis, William Joseph, White River, basically low to high end.

Sinker is right when he said that waders do wear out; however, the cheap ones wear out offaly fast. You should consider where you do most of your fishing. If it's the eastern ditches where crossing and wading deep doesn't happen often then you can probably get away with inexpensive waders. Those pin hole leaks that come from time to time won't be bothersome because you're not wading waist deep to fish and pressure from the water will probably penetrate.

Now if you fish big water that requires wading or crossing deep sections don't cheap out or you'll be wet a lot. Depending on your budget, I'd say the Redington Sonic Pro are the best bang for your buck.

As for used waders, don't bother unless you can try them on and wade up yo your nipples to see if there are any leaks.

Personally, I like to be comfortable when I'm on the river, and comfortable waders can be pricey. I use Simms G4 Pro and am extremely pleased. The seams on the boot foot came off after 2 years and Simms sent me a brand new pair. Other than that, they have done an adequate job.

Edited by VXP