Well this SUCKS.. I was really hoping to do this one day - NF - Kind off..

NAW

FWIW I'm doing what I can. Beyond pestering MP's I contacted OOD about this issue and will be writing a piece on this for the magazine from the perspective of the lodge owners that are directly affected. I would like to see the OFAH directly involved but not sure if that's going to happen.

I'm also going to try and set up an online petition to collect as my signatures as possible.

I heard Angelo Viola speaking to some of the lodge owners last Saturday morning on the fan 590. It is truly devastating to these lodge owners , and I cant help but feel for them especially being a business owner my self. Imagine if they made it virtually impossible for people to access my business, I would certainly go under. I heard there was a petition Mike already started and I'm doing my best to find that link, its something we should support IMO.

For all those concerned there's some great news!

Federal Transport Minister Raitt announced this morning that funding will be extended for one year for the ACR Passenger Rail Service from Sault Ste. Marie to Hearst. Now is the time for local stakeholders to get a long term solution -- the rail line is very important to this region!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152142737998224

• 9 months later...

Ok guys its that time again to put some pressure on Minister Raitt. The feds subsidy for the Algoma Central Railway will end soon and efforts to save the ACR for the long term have began. A third party has agreed to take over the passenger and tour train and CN is on board. They have a plan to make the train self sustainable in 5 years with new and exciting tourism opportunities. I will provide some links below. Please take a look and if you have the time maybe send a letter or two to our Minsters.

Council urges feds to support ACR plan
http://www.saultstar.com/2015/01/26/council-urges-feds-to-support-acr-plan

Fight for the ACR Continues - Presentation to Sault Council & Letter for all to Send

http://www.wawa-news.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21844:fight-for-the-acr-continues-presentation-to-sault-council-a-letter-for-all-to-send&catid=118:district-news&Itemid=78

never hurts if some of you southern guys with northern hearts right your own mpp's as well as ours....we've been fighting up here for years feeling as though those in the more populated areas don't hear us or care....let those making the decisions know.

Write MPPs? Wow!! Amazing what gets some of us fired up. We do care and situations like these are a real shame but if its gonna cost me more than is already extorted from me and wasted im afraid i'd have to say find the dough somewhere else or look in another bucket.

Google is a great thing. One of the first search results for me was a detailed study on the ACR....

http://usaskstudies.coop/exhibit/wp-content/uploads/Algoma-Central-Railway-Wilderness-Tourism-by-Rail-Opportunity-Study.pdf

While it makes zero sense financially for the government to invest in something that is continually losing popularity, I would rather see tax dollars going towards something as beneficial to the local economy as the train service is.

The final demise of the ACR began when CN purchased the company and railroad. CN is in the business of freight........9 billion dollars worth. CN has no interest in running a passenger service and it has showed with the steady decrease in ridership. The $2.2 million subsidy the government provided the railroad had been in place for years. That number is peanuts for the both the Feds and CN. This new plan is asking for LESS tax dollars and in 5 years the train will be self sufficient. This should make everyone happy even the taxpayer.