Cobourg fish lift

Ron

The tentative date for the Cobourg fish lift is Saturday April 12. If the fish are there and the weather is good, it could be done a week earlier.

This is no longer run under the guidance or funding of the OMNR. Due to cutbacks CIFWIP is not available thus not allowing insurance for volunteers.

With much thanks to the Ganaraska Region Conservation Authority, scientific permits have been issued and volunteers are insured through GRCA policy.

Hope to see you there.

Cheers...

OMNR my A$$!!!! Thank goodness all our money squandered over the years is helping this endeavour and others along. NOT!!!!!

Good on whoever is helping out with this. The saying used to be, "If you want something done right you have to do it yourself". It should now say, "If you want something done.....period!!!" Kudos guys and gals. Good luck.

trying to force every person to have the OFAH insurance.... they are saying the same thing at the fish ladder in port hope have to be a mnr over site so they going to put someone there from sun up to sun down to watch the volunteers do all the work..... they say it a insurance thing... bull crap...

OMNR my ass!!!! Thank goodness all our money squandered over the years is helping this endeavour and others along. NOT!!!!!

Good on whoever is helping out with this.

Good on Yah Ron and Crew

Edited by icedude

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

As it stands, the lift is still scheduled for this Saturday. We are banking on the high water levels to subside and thus making it safe to net the trout and manually lift over the dam.

I will keep everyone up to date as the week progresses.

Cheers, Ron...

For those of you who asked......

Kids are most certainly involved. We encourage them to help out. In fact, we let the kids with their guardian go into the pool first to net fish.

Items to bring:

WARM CLOTHES, DURING AND AFTER

chest waders are best but if you only have hip waders, that's fine too.

cotton gloves (some are provided).

large net (some are provided).

If your kids require community service hours for school and such, bring the forms along.

Start up time is 8:00 at THE MILL RESTAURANT http://www.themillincobourg.com/findus.asp in Cobourg.

(from Toronto, take first exit (Burnham St) south, turn left on Elgin St. Turn left on Ontario St. Parking lot is on your right.

See ya there!

Cheers, Ron...

Got the day off work tomorrow...I should be there :D

I'll be unleashing the inner loogan within by netting fish...In a sanctuary :thumbsup_anim:

All kidding aside, I'm hoping the water will be gin clear...I'll also be probing the pool with my camera too.LOL

Well the fish lift was mostly a great success. 30 fish shy of our set goal mind you. For the conditions we had, I think we did great. High and stained water made it unsafe to do a push up stream to get more trout into the pool. In total, I believe, there were 167 rainbow trout lifted up and over the dam.

Thanks to all of you who took the time to help improve the rainbow trout fishery. It was greatly appreciated!

Cheers, Ron...