this years Lake Ontario Salmon fishing

fishdawg

Guts usually start chasing them as soon as you can get out on the lake we used to start some years the first week in April in port Dalhousie and Jordan harbor !!!! Lots of fish and all tight to shore in 20-40 feet of water !!!! And talk about fight !!! Wow a 15lb silver king in ice cold water the fight is amazing also early spring browns along the shoreline running xraps on long line or running an inline board !!!! No need to wait till summer some of the best fishing happens from April till June !!!! Cheers

We had an awesome year last year, multiple fish over 30 lbs, 20+ fish days, one day with 8 or 9 fish over 20 lbs. mind you the first couple weeks of july were hit and miss but after that we slayed them till september. If this year is half the year 13 was ill be happy!

We had an awesome year last year, multiple fish over 30 lbs, 20+ fish days, one day with 8 or 9 fish over 20 lbs. mind you the first couple weeks of july were hit and miss but after that we slayed them till september. If this year is half the year 13 was ill be happy!

Was a great summer, spring on the southern shore not so much compared to previous years.

I was out last Tuesday when it was 12 degrees and got a sunburn on my head. No fish for me, but I did see 3 browns landed. ;)

Here's to hoping this season (my second) of trolling for salmon results in a bigger fish than my current PB...

Sept1920131_zps083ae3ee.jpg

Can't wait to get back out there again. Lots of fish last year but never broke the 30 pound mark and would like to do that this year. Picked up some some stuff to try out and anxiously waiting to do so. Bring on the warm weather please!!

Nice fish Tony and congrats once again!

It's going to be tough to top last year! :whistling:

20130505_110255.jpg

20130706_084005.jpg

I am thinking a cold and extended spring which should be great for shore anglers to take advantage of the big fish cruising the shallows!

Werent you the guy who won the derby last year?

If so that will definitely be a tough hill to climb, but were all chasin the same thing :)

Can't wait to get back out there again. Lots of fish last year but never broke the 30 pound mark and would like to do that this year. Picked up some some stuff to try out and anxiously waiting to do so. Bring on the warm weather please!!

If I can get down there,I,ll bring a camera that takes full pics.LOL

Very nice Tony.

Lets hope that Lady Simcoe opens up before Laker and Whitie season opens.

Ice fishing in May? LMAO

the south shore was tough last year for sure (for me at least). A late start and smaller fish than previous years. Biggest of the season was just a touch over 30, off the North Shore (courtesy of Capt Pikeslayer) Cant wait for this season to start. This colder winter will hopefully keep them in closer longer. Plus I owe the Cpt a Laker day for my half of the deal :) Hopefully I can pay back the favour

the south shore was tough last year for sure (for me at least). A late start and smaller fish than previous years. Biggest of the season was just a touch over 30, off the North Shore (courtesy of Capt Pikeslayer) Cant wait for this season to start. This colder winter will hopefully keep them in closer longer. Plus I owe the Cpt a Laker day for my half of the deal :) Hopefully I can pay back the favour

You know it's rough when you gotta run from Weller to the Bar in order to catch a greasy lake trout!! Usually if you hug the bottom around Weller, it's pretty much laker after laker. We marked a lot of fish last year but man they just didn't want to commit. Like I said, if the US side is hot again this spring, that's where I'm going..

Can't wait to boat a 30 lb laker Rick ;)

I can't wait either Will!! Hint hint. Lol

• 2 weeks later...

Lots of cool stuff happening for the Lake Ontario trollers this spring!

1st off, the 39th annual St Catharines Game & Fish Association's Spring Salmon Derby begins in 2 weeks!
A couple hi-lights to mention:

* Everyone who buys a ticket, qualifies for the draw for a 2116 Scotty HP Downrigger. As well if you win a top 5 placing in any category, you get an additional chance in the draw.

* They will be also running a Summer Derby, same format and same payouts running from June 14 - August 12. Again, everyone who buys a ticket, qualifies for the draw for the 2116 Scotty HP Downrigger. As well if you win a placing in any category, you get an additional chance in the draw

* There will not be a "Members Derby" this year. Instead, there is a new "Members Division" which will run concurrently with both the Spring & Summer Derby. There will be one placing for each species in the "Members Division" and you cannot enter the same fish in both divisions, it has to be one or the other. Please refer to the rules.

Summer Derby will have same rules, format & payouts and will run June 14- Aug 9

They are going to try to use social media as often as we can to keep regular updates coming.

2014SpringSalmonDerbyFlyer_zpse0a74497.j

2014SpringSalmonDerbyrules_zpsff4d5cef.j

The SCGFA will also be running the 1st annual Port Dalhouise 3x3 Salmon Classic over the May long weekend May 17-19.

Very simple concept. Any boat owner ("captain") has until the Friday at 6pm to register their boat for $50. From Saturday 6am, to Monday at 2pm, they may enter any and ONLY 3 salmon that are caught from that boat. No upgrading fish!

yes you can enter the same fish in the Spring Salmon, or any other event, as long as all rules are followed for both events

20143x3SalmonDerbyFlyer-page-001_zpsad69

3x3SalmonDerbyFlyer-page-2_zps80e962c1.j

Very simple concept. Any boat owner ("captain") has until the Friday at 6pm to register their boat for $50. From Saturday 6am, to Monday at 2pm, they may enter any and ONLY 3 salmon that are caught from that boat. No upgrading fish!

yes you can enter the same fish in the Spring Salmon, or any other event, as long as all rules are followed for both events

Also this Tuesday, April 1 at the Grimsby Legion, the guest Speakers at the Strait Line Anglers Club meeting is the 2013 KINGS OF THE LAKE, the "Silver Junkies". (Darryl Day, Pat Commerford, and Nate Jamieson) All are welcome, to attend this free meeting. Starts at 7pm!

The SLAs will also be running a new Salmon tournament on Sat May 31, out of Fishermans Pier. More details to come on this, but it will follow same rules & format as the "Catch The Fry" Tourny.

Hope some of you fellas can make these events!

Edited by Strait_Line_Anglers