Ice in timmins area

Gallie

Up here in Manitouwadge, I took my ice hut off on May 8 and there was still over 2 feet of ice and there was still 3 feet of snow in the bush. I thought I would never get to go snowmobiling in May ever again, but if things don't start to change soon, I'm thinking snowmobiling in May is a real possibility again this year. We didn't get on the lake last year until May 28!!! But things can change real fast.

There is 40+ inches of ice, 5-6 feet of snow in the bush and over 10 feet of frost in the ground this year. There are over 70 houses here in town that have had no water due to frozen water lines!! People who lived here all their lives say that its been the coldest and snowiest year in a long time!!

Cheers

Jason

Nothing above zero up there right out through March 27th... it's gonna be tight this year!

That's too funny, I put my extension on the auger last week, if we didn't have all the snow we have, i'd probably need an extension for the extension!! :(

Edited by Basskicker

Took that shot about 5 " before break through.. handles were on the snow when it went through in more than one spot on Lake T ! Was going to go back up for closer (Laker) weekend and have my extension ready. It's been making ice since I left on the 3rd.

Edited by irishfield

This was my preferred boat launch a few days before June first last year. Needless to say that we didn't launch that day. This winter has been 100x colder than last with no end in sight. So I'd be careful with your early season northern adventures plans guys. :dunno:

may20131_zpsd89a7bcc.jpg

I havent missed a trip in 10 years, if i cant fish in one spot ill fish another. As long as i have a week of fishing ill be fine! Especially now since my wife is pregnant and fishing might be tougher to come by in the future.

Edited by Gallie

In 1997 we were scheduled to fish Lake Wabatongushi (NE of Wawa) the week of May 24-31 and got shut-out as the lake was still ice covered. That lake is almost exactly same latitude as Timmins...for what it's worth.

Who knows...we may have a really warm spring and the ice is gone by May 1st. That's not what they're calling for though. May be time to figure out a back-up plan.

Good luck...

I have lived in Timmins all my life and I only have seen ice on the lakes during the May run maybe 2 times. Last year we had more nice and it melted by May 10th. There could be a possibility of ice this year but I think it will melt by that time

39" of solid ice ion Callander Bay Lake Nipissing yesterday.

Last year I spent the 1st week of May on the West Arm of Nipissing and driving across 17 from North Bay it appeared the whole north side of the big lake was still ice covered. It was gone though when I came home a week later.

Edited by lew

• 4 weeks later...

I'm suppose to be about 250km north of Timmins in May and I'm a bit concerned myself.

The very long range forecast is not looking warm enough at all. Night time temps hovering around the 0 degrees or colder mark right till the end of May. Daytime highs are high single digits for the first two weeks of the month and low double digits for the last half. Let alone the next couple of weeks of April with highs of low single digits (everyday but a couple) and lows into the minus side. A lot of overcast days as well. I hope the forecast is wrong (like so often it is) but given the winter we've had, who really knows. Wait and see what happens.