Camping Horwood Lake

Lund555

First time going to Horwood Lake and was looking for some information. We like to tent and I was looking for a little information. Is there a public boat launch? Is there a place to put a tent up on Horwood or Groundhog Lake? We are going up late May for 5 days

Thank you for any information

welcome to OFC. intro first and then ask for info. most of the guys( ...and girls :angel: ) here are pretty helpful...as long as they know you a little...and again, you can search the forum for Horwood Lake and see what other guys been trough. PM people for more accurate and specific questions.

Cheers!

Gino

Thanks for the help.

A group of guys have been going up fishing for several years, started with my dad and his friends 50 years ago. It's been tough lately to find good walleye fishing so this year we decided to try Horwood. I heard only good things about the lake. One of our buddies, was up there a long time ago and stayed at Horwood Lake Lodge so he doesn't have any information on tenting. It's a 9 hour drive for us so it's hard to check it out prior to the trip.

I read most of the information on OFC and seen some great pics. I will PM a couple members that did some postings on the lake to see if they have some helpful information.

If no one has any information that's okay, still going to try the area. I know there is always somewhere in the north you put up camp for a few days, but was hoping to stay on the lake. Big Bear

Camp has a boat launch and you can dock there if need be.

Hope to catch some fish that I can share with you all.

Thanks again.

I have fished Horwood my whole life and have grown up in the Timmins area.I would be more than happy to help you out with any questions you have. First off yes there is a public boat launch!

I think this guy (Tayzak) is the guy you want to talk to

Yes there is a public launch at horwood. it is about 15 minutes of the hwy 101 and just past big bear camp so just fallow the signs to big bear and you will see the public boat launch sign. There are also a few camping spots on the lake. Theres a open area near pinecone point but you can also can camp on a few islands. It might still be cold that time of year so bring winter clothing with you.

Thank you everyone for your help. Along with the information here I was also able to make contact Tayzak15, Mitch seguin and corvette1, everybody was very helpful.

Thank you

Still up in the air as to what the guys will want to do with the new information. Whatever we do, I hope to share some good pictures and give a good report.

Not sure about tenting sites other than Big Bear. As far as the public launch goes though, there is no docking at the launch just a ramp. As for what they charge you at Big Bear for launching and parking I would highly recommend it. We were charged $3 a day parking and $5 launch fee. We were there for 5 days/4 nights and they only charged us $17. Our vehicle was safer then leaving it at some public road with no one around to watch it. As for the fishing, we went in august and caught over 80 fish. We plan on going back in September, but we have a place to stay on private property.

Groundhog is owned by the hydro company and doesn't have public access from what I understand, but you should certainly give the guys at Big Bear a call, I think Angie runs that stuff, could be mistaken, but they are great people and your car should be safe for sure, I've been going up there for a while now. If you have any questions about the fishing you can P.M me and I can hopefully send you in the right direction!

Chris.